Pickled quail egg recipe

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
Does anyone have a good pickled quail egg recipe? I'm going to be getting a lot of quail soon and I want to try and pickle their eggs. If you could also tell me the process you use to pickle them I would be grateful. Thanks

I just found this post:
For pickling quail eggs I use the same recipie as I would for chicken eggs.

you can adjust this as needed:

2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
3 dill stalks
2 garlic cloves ( or 1 tsp dried garlic flakes)
2 tsp dried onion flakes
1-2 hot peppers( I use super chilies).chopped or shredded( wear gloves when working with hotter peppers)
3 good spins of the pepper mill
1 tsp salt (optional)

bring to a boil spoon enough veggi;s into each jar, pour brine over eggs, seal and water bath for 10 minutes.
keep everyone away from pickling eggs as they seem to need to know how they are setting up, or want to get that first perfectly pickled egg before someone else does.

I am completly dumb about this...but my DH loves them so I will ask.
Do you hard boil them and remove the shell or pack them raw and the shell disolves?

Probably one of the more stupid questions you have ever been asked.

It took longer to ask that question than it did to find the answer for myself.

1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups rice vinegar
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
5 to 6 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 lemon wedge
1 tablespoon sweet or hot paprika
24 quail eggs
Directions:

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine all the ingredients except the quail eggs. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes; the liquid should be at a low boil. Set aside to cool slightly. Discard the lemon wedge and bay leaves.

Have ready a bowl of ice-cold water, a cloth napkin and a sterile jar with a tight-fitting lid. The jar should be large enough to hold the peeled eggs and the cooked liquid.

Place a cloth napkin on the bottom of a separate large pot and place the eggs on the napkin. Cover with water by an inch or so and bring to barely a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 4 to 5 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the cold-water bath until they are cool enough to handle, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully peel the eggs and let them come to room temperature. Place the eggs in the jar and add the reserved cooking liquid. Seal tightly and wrap the jar in the napkin.

Bring a large stockpot of boiling water to a boil over high heat. Make sure the jar is covered with water by at least 2 inches. Carefully place the jar in the boiling water, weighing it down with something that will keep the jar stationary. Boil for 35 to 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the water cool to about room temperature. Refrigerate the jar of eggs until ready to serve.

Back
Top Bottom