Picky pullets

tanyabee

Songster
Jul 7, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
My 12 week old pullets are super picky with the "treats" I try to feed them. Everyone says they will go nuts for watermelon and veggies, etc. I bring them a little plate with cut up goodies such as these on it, and they take one peck and move on, uninterested. The dried mealworms are a little more appetizing to them, and they love earthworms, but the good veggies from my garden are a no-go. So I'm curious, is it their age, or do I just have really picky little girls?

Most has to do with their age, yes. As they mature and become more accustomed to different things, their choices and willingness to try new things will expand. Though the advertisers want everyone to believe that "vegetarian chickens" are the best thing since sliced bread, keep in mind that "animal protein" is virtually always their first choice in the natural world. When they're out free ranging, they'll take bugs and worms over vegetation every time!

Give them something along those lines and stand back! :gig Buy a can of mackerel or tuna and chop it up for them, wet cat food or dog food. Next time you do a baked chicken, give them the carcass. Scramble up some eggs for them. You get the idea.

Just keep in mind that treats should comprise no more than 10% of their total diet. :)

Most has to do with their age, yes. As they mature and become more accustomed to different things, their choices and willingness to try new things will expand. Though the advertisers want everyone to believe that "vegetarian chickens" are the best thing since sliced bread, keep in mind that "animal protein" is virtually always their first choice in the natural world. When they're out free ranging, they'll take bugs and worms over vegetation every time!

Give them something along those lines and stand back! :gig Buy a can of mackerel or tuna and chop it up for them, wet cat food or dog food. Next time you do a baked chicken, give them the carcass. Scramble up some eggs for them. You get the idea.

Just keep in mind that treats should comprise no more than 10% of their total diet. :)
Thanks so much for the tips, I am definitely going to try that!

I have 1 hen who is uninterested in treats except frozen watermelon and spaghetti noodles. I thought maybe it was because she is the lowest hen but she will take a noodle away from the rooster in a heartbeat.
I guess they're like children, you never know what each one will like.

Back
Top Bottom