Already in love

Zanylady89

Chirping
Jul 30, 2023
Marlow, Oklahoma
I told my husband yesterday that I just want to go take a look at TSC šŸ˜ ended up bringing home 10 little ones! 5 Amerecauna(Americana)? And 5 Rhode Island Red or Cinnamon Queen? Honestly not sure, they both were in the little bin, but it was hard for us to tell them apart. They all seem fairly healthy right now. One had pasty butt, which I cleaned off, patted her dry and put the blow dryer on her, low setting. and instantly fell in love holding her in my hands and when I petted her, her sweet little eyes closed. šŸ˜ We thought we had a good brooder ready to go, but we purchased the brooder plate and it didn't fit! So we quickly improvised. I also got the electrolyte mix just in case. Should I still give it to them? The Cat has been curious, but keeping his distance, because he avoids the puppy. The puppy is also curious, being 13 weeks, but he is easily distracted away from them. We have a fiesty Amerecauna, she's the darker one, pecking at our fingers! Anyways, they're lovely and really fun to watch! Now we just have to come up with names!

Attachments

• 20230803_072419.jpg
    20230803_072419.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230803_072437.jpg
    20230803_072437.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 13
Congrats! They are beautiful and will bring you so much joy.
Improvising is something you'll do always when having chickens, when I think I have everything settled and running smoothly is when I end up needing to improvise again, especially when "chicken math" takes over and and you end up with more little ones that planned.

Yes you can give the electrolytes, we give ours for the first week then just plain water after they have settled in nicely.

Keep us posted when you give names, as this is always fun to see what others end up with.

Thank you! Oh yes I can definitely see the chicken math kicking in at some point!
It should be interesting, since I'm going to let my kids name a few. 8 year old son already suggested "hamburger" šŸ˜†

I like "hamburger"! :lol:
When we had one of our broody girls hatch out 2 eggs, both pullets, but they looked liked biscuits and gravy so we ended up naming them "Biscuit" "Gravy". I like the unusual names myself. EE's are fun, they change so quickly each weeks and the colors are stunning, so hope you have all sorts of variations in your flock.

I like "hamburger"! :lol:
When we had one of our broody girls hatch out 2 eggs, both pullets, but they looked liked biscuits and gravy so we ended up naming them "Biscuit" "Gravy". I like the unusual names myself. EE's are fun, they change so quickly each weeks and the colors are stunning, so hope you have all sorts of variations in your flock.

Aw! that's cute! I like fun names too! Oh I can't wait for that!

Is the coop already built? Hard to see from the photos, but if the brooder plate had trouble fitting, they're likely going to outgrow that space fast.
No not yet, we were initially going to put them in a plastic tote, but it was too small. We're using a large dog kennel with chicken wire wrapped on the inside. Everything fits nicely, even a couple little twigs from our tree. But I know they are going to grow quickly so I'm working on coop and run plans too.

No not yet, we were initially going to put them in a plastic tote, but it was too small. We're using a large dog kennel with chicken wire wrapped on the inside. Everything fits nicely, even a couple little twigs from our tree. But I know they are going to grow quickly so I'm working on coop and run plans too.
Good luck! They grow fast and will be ready to go out before you know it!

Back
Top Bottom