Pics! 12 wk Tiny just swallowed my earring! Crop Surgery?

Missa Chickabee

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Northern Minnesota
I can feel it in her little crop. It's not gold. It's the cheap anti-allergenic kind. My fault. It's the post of the earring I'm worried about for her. I have 36 chickens and of course she's the pet. Hand-raised and tame as can be. That's why she got the opportunity to be so close. Forgot I was still wearing those earringsIt is only the welfare of this 'tweeny' chick I'm concerned about. Dang!

photo%252815%2529.JPG

photo%252816%2529.JPG

Anyone had successful experience with this kind of situation?

It's a bit too early to tell whether or not surgery is required. During the construction of a new chicken coop and run, one of our pullets swallowed several small sharp screws and bits of plastic. I feel bad that we were so careless at the time! She's going on 4 years old now and I can't work out how she survived. Have you seen this thread about crop surgery?

Good luck!

I saw that page too! You're right, she's adorable!
It's a bit too early to tell whether or not surgery is required. During the construction of a new chicken coop and run, one of our pullets swallowed several small sharp screws and bits of plastic. I feel bad that we were so careless at the time! She's going on 4 years old now and I can't work out how she survived. Have you seen this thread about crop surgery?

Good luck!

Thank-you! That is very comforting, NCase. I sort of came to it last night...that I just need to relax and let her be.

Have done bumblefoot surg but never sutured.....yet. Did look at that link last night.

You know, my husband pointed out to me this morning that I tend to get a kind of a messiah-mothering-complex going with any of our furry or feathered friends here and take the outcomes on my own shoulders.

Are you in Australia? ( :) the only OZ I know of is Dorothy's) OOPS! I see you are from DU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...eve-diamond-earring-swallowed-by-chicken.html

I remembered seeing this in the news recently.

Cute little girl you have there!
Well, yes. I found it prioritized in the web-search I did. I'm glad I don't have a "money" issue going on with pearls or diamonds. I have lost so much jewellery over the years that I never buy anything expensive anymore!

Thanks. She is such a sweet chicken, ChickensAreSweet. She was a gift from a 19 yr old girl who lost her dad last year. Chicken math has gotten out of control for her but she takes some comfort in her animals and chickens....so many different kinds of chickens. Tiny here is an EE Banty Rooster / Polish Hen Cross. (I love mutts! Our best dogs have been such)

Last edited:
Thanks, you guys, both 'down under' and 'up over'.

Will let you all know how this pans out. She seems fine for now. Her peck is strong! She's sweet but ya gotta keep your distance.

Back
Top Bottom