1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics! 12 wk Tiny just swallowed my earring! Crop Surgery?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Missa Chickabee, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Missa Chickabee

Missa Chickabee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    I can feel it in her little crop. It's not gold. It's the cheap anti-allergenic kind. My fault. It's the post of the earring I'm worried about for her. I have 36 chickens and of course she's the pet. Hand-raised and tame as can be. That's why she got the opportunity to be so close. Forgot I was still wearing those earringsIt is only the welfare of this 'tweeny' chick I'm concerned about. Dang!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone had successful experience with this kind of situation?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    It's a bit too early to tell whether or not surgery is required. During the construction of a new chicken coop and run, one of our pullets swallowed several small sharp screws and bits of plastic. I feel bad that we were so careless at the time! She's going on 4 years old now and I can't work out how she survived. Have you seen this thread about crop surgery?

Good luck!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
  5. Missa Chickabee

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Thank-you! That is very comforting, NCase. I sort of came to it last night...that I just need to relax and let her be.

Have done bumblefoot surg but never sutured.....yet. Did look at that link last night.

You know, my husband pointed out to me this morning that I tend to get a kind of a messiah-mothering-complex going with any of our furry or feathered friends here and take the outcomes on my own shoulders.

Are you in Australia? ( :) the only OZ I know of is Dorothy's) OOPS! I see you are from DU.

Well, yes. I found it prioritized in the web-search I did. I'm glad I don't have a "money" issue going on with pearls or diamonds. I have lost so much jewellery over the years that I never buy anything expensive anymore!

Thanks. She is such a sweet chicken, ChickensAreSweet. She was a gift from a 19 yr old girl who lost her dad last year. Chicken math has gotten out of control for her but she takes some comfort in her animals and chickens....so many different kinds of chickens. Tiny here is an EE Banty Rooster / Polish Hen Cross. (I love mutts! Our best dogs have been such)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. Missa Chickabee

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    She seems to be fine all day today. Have not palpated her crop today because it bothers her. Hoping for the best and that's that.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

7. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    All the best to you! [​IMG] Yep, I actually am in Australia - lol sorry, 'Oz' is a bit confusing to some people!

8. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Oh, ouch, that's scary. I would say unless she's bothered, don't worry about it! Good luck! Keep us posted.

9. Missa Chickabee

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks, you guys, both 'down under' and 'up over'.

Will let you all know how this pans out. She seems fine for now. Her peck is strong! She's sweet but ya gotta keep your distance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by