PICS finally! edited to add more pics..

The are probably black sex-link chicks, not barred rocks. My black s-l's are about the same age as yours and they are getting gold feathers on their chests and look quite similar to yours.

Cute babies!

Here is a picture of my Black Sex-Link ... I'll try to get a pic of my australorp chicks posted too.

BlackStar.jpg

Quote:
ok that is exactly like the three "barred rocks" that I got at the feed store.. the one in the my pic is the most colorfull of the three, the other two have the same color as yours. (same size and everything) so being that it is a sex-link what does that mean.. is it a boy our girl.. isnt that what a sex link is telling the gender by color at birth. so which is it boy girl.. ??

Last edited:
If they all look that way, black with gold on the front, they are all pullets. The roosters will be completely different in color.

It's easy, at least for me, and obviously others, to get the chicks mixed up when they're young. Some of the breeds look very similar.

The Sex-Links are suppose to be a heartier breed, their egg production is suppose to be better too.

Here is a pic of one of my Australorp chicks. Looks about the same size as yours, maybe a little younger.

Yours does seem to have more white on the head. Mine does have the white on the feathers in the chest/belly area.

The last picture you have posted of yours looks very similar to mine, but the white head has me stumped.

Hmmmm. Wonder what it is.

Austr.jpg
v

Quote:
these guys are easy to pick out.. we had two of our chicks die.. so we went to the feed store and bought 6 more.. (fuzzy math I know) these three were of the 6 they were a few days older than mine so they were bigger..

I have
5 cochins (2 from my MM order 3 from the feed store)
3 of the black guys (sex links)
2 of what seems to be australorps
4 white crested black polish
1 other colored polish
1 EE (pictured above)

this is how I count them every day... it is easier to spot out the breeds then try to get them to stay still to count all 16. (I did it that way for about 3 days.)

I guess the feed store got the breed wrong. I got her last 6 chickens so they were all the bottom of the barrel, they might have gotten mixed up at the store.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom