pics of coop - not finished!

Thanks for all the comments! The dimensions are 4 x8 and they are 2 x 2's. All attached with screws. I do plan on putting a roost under the box. I want to try a litter box under the roost in the box for easy cleanup. I've read where some are doing this.

I've only ordered three chicks for now, but if I'm correct the coop will hold eight. My chicks are being shipped today, I hope they arrive in good shape. (really nervous about it) I just called my post office and they promised me they would call as soon as they arrive. I'll post more pics. I'm going to buy the roof materials tomorrow!

So the house part of the coop must be 2x4 i'm guessing? Oh and how tall is it, if you dont mind my asking.

Last edited:
No, I started with 2x4's but they were ripped to make 2 x 2's (not as heavy) and they are pine, and I used CDX plywood - 1/4" I think... I'ts VERY sturdy - maybe due to the screws...? My dad is the carpenter, I'm the supplier and the painter! And it's 5' tall so far - I'm going to put a peaked roof on. I'm really not sure about the box. I'm skeptical on how easy it will be to clean.

I used 2x3's, I dont have a way to rip 2x4's.
Yeah the wood from 2x4's is way stronger then what they make the 2x2's from arouind here, so sounds like its pretty solid.
But What i was really asking was, the dimensions of the house part, 2ft x 4ft ?, hehe, when I looked at my post I thought it might be confuseing
smile.png

Okay, it's stupid question time, so prepare to laugh--how do you move your tractor without all the chickens getting out? Judging from the way my father's chickens behave, once you lift it enough to move it, they'd be running for the hills. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here!
cool.png

Sorry barg! yes, the box is 2ft x 4ft. As far as moving it, I'm sure I won't move it that often, it will take four people to move it. My yard is fenced and I plan to let my chicks run about out of the coop.

When I lift my tractor to move it, the end closest to me comes about 2-3 inches off the ground. I tend to "push" it instead of pull it, so my hens seem to have figured it out, and are over at the opposite end from where I am, waiting to "get" whatever new comes their way! When I first started moving it, they would just sort of run around and I just moved slowly, so that I didn't run over their legs. In the first week after I added the lifting bar, I accidentally picked it up a little high-maybe 4-6", and had one squirt out right in front of me. Got her back in, and haven't had a problem since; I just don't get carried away lifting it so high.

Back
Top Bottom