Pics of our coop (ADDED QUESTION post #16) not quite finished yet

rhaj

Songster
13 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
It's still sitting on the ground, but it will be up I think 2 feet off the ground. It doesn't have a door on it yet, but will. It also doesn't have the vents in it yet. I'm going to paint it inside and out with exterior paint so it will be more washable.

008-4.jpg

I put vinyl flooring (36c each at home depot! yay!) in for easy cleaning. Will use lots of pine shavings over it. You can see the nesting boxes on the right.

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

there also will be a bar in front of (little lower than) the nesting box to make it easier to get in I think?

003-18.jpg

006-9.jpg

nesting box opens from outside

005-7.jpg

007-8.jpg

roosting ladder up to T shaped roosting bars

013-4.jpg

014-3.jpg

What do you think??

Last edited:
Love it! And the floors are beautiful! It looks like it was made with a lot of TLC!

Thanks!

haha! DH and his father did the actual construction... I helped with the planning some, sanded the roosting bars to make them somewhat rounded, put the floor down and will paint it. I got the easy stuff, lol

Very nice. Are you going to add insulation? I'm sure you get some cold winters there. Also, be sure to add a secure latch to the nesting box cover to keep those coons out of there!

I didn't see a pop door for the chickens. You won't be able to keep the "people" door open come winter.

Hadn't planned on the insulation yet but if we need to then we'll do it though.

The coop will actually be in an enclosed area, so there won't be any critters getting into the nest box.

Not sure what you mean by pop door...? We were planning on having the one big door, will have a ramp down to the ground, would be dual purpose for me to be able to feed/water/clean and for the chickens to also get out. If it is really cold, it will be latched closed, but I will just have to open it to give them food etc while attempting to keep them inside the coop...

A pop door is a small chicken door with a ramp for chickens only. I'd cut one in on the sides or even within your big door. Not only because of cold, but you'll have way too much draft with the big door open. Also should make your chickens feel more secure/comfortable within their coop.

Back
Top Bottom