Pics of our coop and run

I finished the pop door & motor installation all by myself! I'm so proud! It's not perfect, but it works like a charm and the girls don't mind it at all!

Last edited:
It's on a timer. I'll have to adjust the time as winter goes on. I have it going up at 7am and down at 7pm. I also switched out all of the pine shavings for winter. I will NOT be putting DE in with my pine shavings this time. UGH! What a dusty horrible mess that was. I probably should have had a dust mask while I was cleaning it out. But, it's done and the girls are set for winter.

Yeah, I'm done with DE too. When I moved my coop 2.0 and saw how dead the ground was under it, that was concerning.
Did you switch the pine shavings for something else, or just fresh shavings?

Just fresh shavings. I had those shavings in before I put the poo boards up. I had mixed them with PDZ and DE. It worked great to keep the odor down and dried up the poop, but like I said, dusty mess to clean up. I'm hoping just pine shavings alone will be ok.

How deep did you go and how long did it last? I need to add more and am trying to decide how much. I actually picked poo out by hand today (gloves on) because I knew we'd be inside working on the electric and didn't want to step all over it.

I put down about 4-5" right now. I went to Tractor Supply and bought one of the big compressed bales. I used about 2/3 of it. After it gets moved around a bit by the girls I'll add the rest of the bale which will make it about 6" deep. I had put a full bale down in July with the DE and PDZ. I wouldn't have had to replace it. I think it could have gone all winter, but I had to crawl into the coop to do the pop door and some electrical, so I decided to just clean it out. I wanted to get rid of the PDZ and DE. It was really dusty in the coop when I would stir the shavings. I love DE in the girls' dust bath and I LOVE PDZ on the poo board, just not in the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom