Pics of our new coop

Jstkiddn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Hi! I was here a while back and posted some questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85000 You guys were very helpful!
big_smile.png

Thought I would post some pics of our completed coop.

Was having trouble uploading pics to the site so I just used Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32338635@N08/sets/72157608815606481/detail/

I think it turned out really well. The run isn't the greatest, but we had the dog pen just sitting around unused and decided to try it. Put on a sun-shade for shade and to keep hawks out. I lock the chickens up in the coop at night and since most of our predators are nocturnal so far it seems to be working well. The run is 10 x 30. I guess the chain link has small enough 'holes' for grown chickens? If we ever decide to hatch any chicks I think it wouldn't be too hard to go around the bottom of the entire run with some hardware cloth. That should be enough to keep them in.

Anyway, we are REALLY enjoying the chickens!! This project was started by our 8 year old daughter. I didnt' realize how much I would enjoy watching these guys. They are pretty funny. I tried to talk her into getting just one breed but she saw some baby chicks at a local feed store and......well.....you know how that went. We came home with 12 of them.
roll.png
They were one day old and all cute and fluffy. She was NOT coming home without some.

She got 3 rhode island reds, 2 barred rocks, 2 brown leghorns, 1 black star, 2 araucanas and 2 bantams of unknown origin. We lost one of the bantams so we have 11 total remaining.

All had been sexed and we supposedly got all pullets, but last week I saw one of the Araucanas crowing. Ut oh.
wink.png
And it's tail is beginning to look different from all the others. Longer and arched.

Not sure what we are going to wind up with if we let any hatch. Guessing whatever the result is will still lay eggs, right? Don't know what we'll do with any resulting roosters. But I guess we'll cross that bridge later.

Anyway, just thought I would share the pics. Thanks so much for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions.

Last edited:
First of all
welcome-byc.gif
. Wow, you guys did a GREAT job on the coop & run! Absolutely beautiful! I never imagined that I'd have as much fun as I have w/ our chickens either - great wholesome family fun for sure! Howdy from NC
frow.gif

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
wink.png

My daughter says the same thing. I'm sure she will eventually get her way. LOL!

You guys did a awesome job!! Very nice. If you collect the eggs every day, you won't have to worry about chicks. Handle your rooster alot and maybe, just maybe, he won't turn mean and flogg your daughter!! Also, I would put hardware cloth around the bottom in the very near future. Just makes it more secure. There are so many things that can pull a chick thru the holes of chain link. Chickens are so much fun. They have their own pesonalities. Enjoy!

Yes, extremely nice coop and run. Y'all have done a wonderful job! Lucky daughter to be loved so much.

I would like to add, though, that, yes, you should go ahead and put hardware cloth around the bottom of the run. Chickens are funny creatures, when they are scared of a critter around their pen, more often than not they'll run to a corner of the pen and huddle together for protection. This allows, say a coon, to just reach through the chain link and grab one by the throat and pull it through. They end up decapitating the bird and making a mess you do not want your daughter to experience. The hardware cloth will fix that problem. And I always open up the space under the coop to the birds. I don't know where you live, but in the heat of the summer that is the coolest place they can go. They love dustbathing in the soft dirt and just hanging out there when they are hot.

Back
Top Bottom