Pics of run. Suggestions?

Cchurchill91

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello, we just moved to a new property recently and are getting a pre existing coop and run back in shape in time to move out for our 7 chicks in around month.

There are two cedar trees in and beside the run. I know cedar shavings are toxic to use but are the trees and needles in the run a concern as well? Wondering if they should be removed entirely or keep them in there for climbing and shade.

The ground was entirely covered in rock which we have been slowly picking up by hand and tossing to the side. We aren’t sure if the run or coop has been used for years because it was covered in garbage and shards of glass which we are still finding every day. What would you suggest as a ground cover for this run living in a Canadian climate? We were wondering about mulch wood chips.

We have old steel roofing we’re considering covering the portion of the run closest to the chicken door of the coop with. The fencing needs to be fixed in many places but that shouldn’t take much work. Should a “ceiling” of wire be put over top as well?

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 3B26E071-3D3C-486B-85DD-2AF6B467E77B.jpeg
    3B26E071-3D3C-486B-85DD-2AF6B467E77B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 4B133315-216A-4459-BE7B-3E1F25A91CE2.jpeg
    4B133315-216A-4459-BE7B-3E1F25A91CE2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
I know cedar shavings are toxic to use but are the trees and needles in the run a concern as well? Wondering if they should be removed entirely or keep them in there for climbing and shade....We have old steel roofing we’re considering covering the portion of the run closest to the chicken door of the coop with. ...Should a “ceiling” of wire be put over top as well?
Shouldn't be a problem...unless they are in the way of adding the roof or mesh roof on run, then bet rid of them. Solid roof will keep snow out of run in winter and offer shade in summer, a mesh roof keeps chicken in and predators out.

What would you suggest as a ground cover for this run living in a Canadian climate? We were wondering about mulch wood chips.
I love my runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Shouldn't be a problem...unless they are in the way of adding the roof or mesh roof on run, then bet rid of them. Solid roof will keep snow out of run in winter and offer shade in summer, a mesh roof keeps chicken in and predators out.

I love my runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Awesome. Good to know the wood chippings are working well for you. We were wondering about being able to do the deep litter method and composting with that material so that’s very good news. As for the cedars, we’ll chop the one inside the run down so we can do the roof. Thank you very much for all the help!

Awesome. Good to know the wood chippings are working well for you. We were wondering about being able to do the deep litter method and composting with that material so that’s very good news. As for the cedars, we’ll chop the one inside the run down so we can do the roof. Thank you very much for all the help!
If you aim to make 'good garden soil'.... wood chips might not be the best way to go.
I just use them to 'compost' the poops and keep any mud at bay.

If you aim to make 'good garden soil'.... wood chips might not be the best way to go.
I just use them to 'compost' the poops and keep any mud at bay.

Good to know as well. We’re mainly just looking for a relatively easy solution for the poops and mud so that works perfect for us. Thanks again.

If you're going to roof the run then I wouldn't worry about any mesh up top, the roof (assuming it's securely installed with no gaps of over 1/2" left) will provide that protection for you.

The cedar trees are fine. I'd trim back any over hanging branches that might be dangerous but otherwise they're not a concern. A little concerned about the glass so you may want to consider digging out some of the soil and replacing it with new topsoil or sand/gravel... guess it depends on how bad the problem is and how widespread.

If you're going to roof the run then I wouldn't worry about any mesh up top, the roof (assuming it's securely installed with no gaps of over 1/2" left) will provide that protection for you.

The cedar trees are fine. I'd trim back any over hanging branches that might be dangerous but otherwise they're not a concern. A little concerned about the glass so you may want to consider digging out some of the soil and replacing it with new topsoil or sand/gravel... guess it depends on how bad the problem is and how widespread.

Thanks Rosemary, we were wondering about only using the steel roofing on the side closest to the coop and wire over the rest to allow some sun. Would you recommend the roofing go over the whole thing? I was hoping the chickens will be able to free range on our one acre most of the time but I’ve been worried about our dog and neighbour dogs attacking them. We have currently have no fence and they’re rather rambunctious young guys.

Digging out some of the soil from the run is a good idea. There’s a surprising amount of glass in there. The more rocks that are removed the more we find. Even some broken bottles that are such thick glass that they must have been there for 100 years. I’m thinking after digging out a good layer, we will add a thick layer of wood chips to be safe. Appreciate your advice.

Thanks Rosemary, we were wondering about only using the steel roofing on the side closest to the coop and wire over the rest to allow some sun. Would you recommend the roofing go over the whole thing?

Digging out some of the soil from the run is a good idea. There’s a surprising amount of glass in there. The more rocks that are removed the more we find.

If you can afford to roof the entire run, I would do that. Other than cost there's literally no downside to roofing - it's predator protection and weather protection. The chickens will get enough sunlight through the sides of the run.

The glass is concerning (esp since it sounds like there's a lot more than what you've already found) so yes digging it out down a few inches at least before topping it off with a new floor layer and/or thick bedding would be ideal.

We actually got pretty lucky here and will be able to roof the run for free with material the old owners left behind. We have what looks like enough steel roofing to cover the whole run. That’s what we will do then! It’ll be nice to keep the run dry too I bet.

Back
Top Bottom