Pics of the coop in winter

ichoosehope

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Southeast MI suburb
I hear that they don't lay as much in winter but something's working cuz we're getting eggs!

We've got the coop and nesting box under the pool deck
DSCI0039CoopInJanuary.jpg

On the R is the nesting box and the L is the coop. Top is insulated by a wool blanket and comforter covvered by plastic to keep it warm.
DSCI0042CoopAndNestingBox.jpg

Front of coop - plexiglass for lots of light and lamp keeps water dish from freezing too fast
DSCI0041FrontofCoop.jpg

Hens fit through easily
DSCI0045StephPeeks.jpg

DH came up with a good idea for heating the nesting box and it's a little warmer than the coop
DSCI0050HeaterInNestingBox.jpg

DSCI0043InsideNEstingBox.jpg

Feeder is larger hanging box. Smaller was for grit when they were younger and now is for crushed eggshells/oyster shell
DSCI0047Girls.jpg

nice looking little set up you have there. They are probably laying because of the light. That usually helps them to keep laying.

I have that same coop for my bantys, in the winter I put newspaper down on the wire floor & 6" of shavings on top. Keeps them extra warm. Mine is inside another building.

Quote:
The newspaper is on the bottom and they really have never gotten to it there are so many pine shavings on top of it. Works out well for me...

Catalina - I have just two chickens - an EE and an Austrolorp.

Volume904 - I did worry about the metal getting too hot, but I kept going to check it and it's fine. I had to replace the original one that was hanging down into the box and now I keep the new lamp hung up securely out of the shredded paper.

Beau coop - with 6 inches of shavings, are you opening the top of the coop or the front door? If I open the front with that much shavings, it would fall out..

Back
Top Bottom