Pics Of Uncovered Sand Run After Rain (UPDATED AFTER 12 INCHES OF RAIN - POST 1)

I'm in MD.  Our snowfall varies from year to year.  We could get nothing one year and 3' plus another year.  I may experiment with this method in my smaller pen just to see how it goes before I decide to do the larger pens.  Thanks!

Wow, that's a lot of snow. That's a good idea to experiment on a small scale to see if it will work for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

so, Ive always wondered: what about all the poop? If you don't rake it out like cat litter every day or two (or do you?), doesnt the sand just turn into mud after about a year anyway, with a bunch of birds in there?

(I see you said that there is no poop... but where does it go??) I mean, there must be some amount of time after which it becomes mud-sand? I am amazed!

so, Ive always wondered: what about all the poop?  If you don't rake it out like cat litter every day or two (or do you?), doesnt the sand just turn into mud after about a year anyway, with a bunch of birds in there?

The poop works itself into the sand. You don't have to scoop it out. If you like, you can just work it into the sand with a rake.

(I see you said that there is no poop... but where does it go??)  I mean, there must be some amount of time after which it becomes mud-sand?   I am amazed!

It's almost like "kitty litter" but unlike kitty litter, the poop sinks into the sand. The rain helps the poop to work itself into the sand. Makes sense?

(I see you said that there is no poop... but where does it go??)  I mean, there must be some amount of time after which it becomes mud-sand?   I am amazed!

Take a VERY close look at the sand. How much poop do you see on top of the sand? I have not had to rake or poop scoop in 2 years. I have literally not touched that sand to do anything to.

Yes, I looked at the sand. That's why I'm (pleasantly) amazed!

I also understand the concept of the poo getting washed down into the tiny gaps between the sand when it rains. But I've always just felt like after a few years, isn't it inevitable that all those gaps will be full? Because, say, in the event that every 5 years I have two yards of poo-sand-cement, thats way too much sand for me to dump in my garden. Unless I start raising burdock root or something! ;)

So... your run is beautiful, and I'm impressed; but I guess I'm asking, has anyone reading this done this for 5 years or more, and is it still disappearing?

Back
Top Bottom