PICS: What breed is this? Shamo?

NaefNaests

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Okay okay I have never owned any gamefowl in my life and had this cute hen given to me and was told she is a shamo cross of something. I googled shamo and I don't know, for sure it's a hen, but breed? Help me out someone.

I just don't see it. Also I don't know her age either and she hasn't laid any eggs yet. Could she be really young?

She doesn't look like one right off, do you have a profile pic?

And is she well? that posture and closed eyes don't seem normal at all.

No she is not well, she got beat up by another hen where I got her from. She had a broken beak and kind of a wry neck, but she looks a heck of a lot better than when I first got her. Her beak has healed and she she holds her head up better. She still walks a little off but A LOT better than before. These pics were taken today after she finished sun bathing like chickens do. Because of her neck she doesn't stand proudly but I will get better pics tomorrow. Maybe I will catch her just right. She looks kind of short, but my excuse I'm telling myself is maybe she's not full grown yet.

Even juvenile Shamo and similar breeds look very leggy and gawky, they're usually easy to spot even as hatchlings or young chicks. I'll look forward to a better pic to see what she is.

Waiting for the sun to come out better. She doesn't stand so straight because of her neck but she has a great appetite, walks around great, forages normally. She is also standing next to a full grown Modern Game Bantam for size comparison. He is free if anybody wants him.

Probably a Shamo or Shamo mix. She could have some Asil (Aseel) in her as well, as they look similar.

I only ask how old because she looks short. Also what is her color called? I find her little "bib" of brown kinda cute.

And that's the difference a good picture makes!

I'm not a jungle fowl person by any means, but she looks like she's got something like that in her. Just couldn't see it in the first pics. you might post on the Shamo thread in the section called "breeds, genetics and showing".

No she is not well, she got beat up by another hen where I got her from. She had a broken beak and kind of a wry neck, but she looks a heck of a lot better than when I first got her. Her beak has healed and she she holds her head up better. She still walks a little off but A LOT better than before. These pics were taken today after she finished sun bathing like chickens do. Because of her neck she doesn't stand proudly but I will get better pics tomorrow. Maybe I will catch her just right. She looks kind of short, but my excuse I'm telling myself is maybe she's not full grown yet.
I'm just learning about game birds having gotten some in a grab bag of eggs I hatched, so I'm not an expert.

Having said that one thing you may want to be doing is to be sure she is getting adequate protein. She should be on a game bird mix as they need a higher protein diet than laying hens. Also make sure she is getting enough Vitamin E just in case that is contributing to her wry neck symptoms (which could also be caused by genetics or injury as you said she was beat up pretty badly).

Good job taking care of her and good luck nursing her all the way back to health.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom