Picture of chicken poo

Justjess0820

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2021
Can anyone tell me what this is and why it looks like this?

Attachments

• C61693EA-0CAB-4AF2-90B4-9EA04A570DD8.jpeg
    C61693EA-0CAB-4AF2-90B4-9EA04A570DD8.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 3
Your other thread is here! It would have been great if you had posted this on that thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicks.1495887/

I'm going to make an assumption that this is the poop from the sick chicks. You are treating for Coccidiosis. The poop is thin and pencil like and mucousy. Continue with treatment.

Make sure your chicks are drinking the mixed Corid water really well. If they are not, then syringe the mixed water into them multiple times a day. Hydration is extremely important when a bird is not well.

Provide a source of grit free choice for the chicks and see that they are eating their chick starter too.

Some strains of coccidia affect the cecal pouches, and when treating, the birds will sometime shed what's called a cecal core. The body is expelling infection from the cecal pouches. So that may be what that is. Since they are small chicks the cores will be smaller and narrower. Or it could just be a mucousy pencilish dropping. I would definitely continue treatment for coccidia and make sure they are taking in the medication.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I should have posted on other thread. My apologies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t dealing with something else. Even after all of the research I did before getting chickens I definitely wasn’t prepared for sickness. I am just beside myself after losing that first sweet baby. I got chickens to have as pets and I want to make sure I am taking care of them properly. We are on day 2 of Corid. Nothing has changed. No worse and no better. Still eating and drinking. Fresh Corid is being made daily as well as a fresh starter feed is being provided. So I have my fingers crossed!! I am cleaning their pen daily is there something specific I should be cleaning with? I am currently using vinegar and boiling water.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I should have posted on other thread. My apologies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t dealing with something else. Even after all of the research I did before getting chickens I definitely wasn’t prepared for sickness. I am just beside myself after losing that first sweet baby. I got chickens to have as pets and I want to make sure I am taking care of them properly. We are on day 2 of Corid. Nothing has changed. No worse and no better. Still eating and drinking. Fresh Corid is being made daily as well as a fresh starter feed is being provided. So I have my fingers crossed!! I am cleaning their pen daily is there something specific I should be cleaning with? I am currently using vinegar and boiling water.
Post some photos of the brooder/pen?

I would not be cleaning heavily. Birds need exposure in order to build resistance. Scoop poop, stir bedding and keep things relatively dry.

Coccidia are found in the soil and the poop - you will not eliminate them from the environment.

I will cut back on cleaning then and just stick to cleaning water and feed bowls!! They are in a dog kennel inside of our shop that I set up as a quarantine area before introducing to my other flocks.

Back
Top Bottom