Picture of huge thin shelled eggs

I'm sorry to hear that
hugs.gif

I had Isa Browns at one point, and their eggs became progressively larger as they aged until they were jumbo sized. Since a hen always uses the same amount of calcium regardless of the egg size, these giant eggs were very thin-shelled. Adding calcium to the feed may help, but be careful if non-laying birds eat it. She may just be older and lay very large, thin shelled eggs.

One of my hens is laying rubbery shelled eggs. Two in the last two weeks, today she laid an egg that was just the white membrane and a full egg in the coop. I think it is the hen that is molting right now, but, I'm not sure. I have given them the best laying feed, crumble, oyster shell openly, all kinds of vegies, fruits and yogurt. Today is cold, they got some warm oatmeal this morning. My hens are over a year old, but not much. They have been laying for over 6 mos. like clock work we get 4 eggs a day, (4 hens). On really cold rough days we only get 2 or 3. They also get diatomaceous on their food, coop and bodies. Any one have an idea if the molting can cause thin shell. The other hens shells are like bricks, takes alot to crack them.

Can you elaborate a bit on that TG? Ive got a leghorn that just started laying brittle eggs...even the shell itself isnt smooth, it almost has ridges. I am going to try some of the suggestions. Been on a real good layer food diet but havent added any shells or vites to her diet yet. She is the only one. I have 5 others production chickens and they are laying without missing a beat

oh and did I mention my mean *** Silver Laced Bearded Polish rooster....he hates my silver tennis shoes....I think he thinks its competition because he is always attacking my legs especially when I wear those shoes....the ole brown boots not as much!

Back
Top Bottom