Pictures from wild green peacock in Northern Thailand and Java

Pavo muticus imperator Northern Thailand

An old rooster chasing the offspring of last year. Now the females can lay eggs and breed. With the old offspring nearby the nest place it is impossible.
Copyright Friedrich Esser

He even follows them up into the trees! That is really amazing to see them all flying off. I am sure it must be hard to fly with such a long train yet the peacock flies so gracefully even with his train.

the train is actually very light. Occasionally a Peafowl flying on a river might get "stuck" in the water if he flies too low but they can also wade and swim. The train functions to protect the peafowl from predators, not the other way around. It gives more room/safety for the peacock's body. The most vulnerable parts of a Peafowl are its backplate and head.

That BBC "tiger eating peacock" video was fake. It's true that Tigers do hunt Peafowl but the BBC video was staged, with a juvenile male being killed by the tiger instead of the adult male which was displaying.

There is a video on YouTube of a hawk killing a peahen and another of a dead peacock with a full train eaten by a hawk, but I'm unsure of how that bird was killed...

I used to call them the living phoenix, but then again the Arguses are referred to as that. In comparison, Green Peafowl are like dragons.

Last edited:
I know my peafowl are certainly weary of hawks. When I free-ranged some all they wanted to do was hide in the bushes. We have lots of different hawks that visit but they are just interested in the small birds and squirrels.

I have showed you some pictures and movies from wild green peacocks Pavo muticus muticus and Pavo muticus imperator.

Have your green this long legs, golden necks, intensely colored wings and such long spikes ???

Be honest to yourself give us an answer !!!

I don't own green peafowl but I love all the characteristics of pure green peafowl. I always loved how colorful the peahens are and how they are just as colorful as the males.

Leo7, I wish you the best for 2013 and your health, and also that of your birds.
smile.png

Thank you Leo7, and I am giving you my best wishes for 2013. I hope you have good health and I wish the best for your peafowl as well. Your conservation of the pure imperators is greatly appreciated.

Happy (Early) New Year to all of you people out there!

Back
Top Bottom