Pictures of almost 4 week old chicks

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
These are the three chicks we hatched from eggs sent by Fallenweeble. I'm only asking for thoughts on breeds for fun. I'll list what the egg was labeled with the understanding the Fallen was identifying them to the extent she was able and we were thrilled to receive and hatch these eggs!
Here is Prima, the first to hatch from an egg marked serama/silkie/modern game
PrimaMarch18.jpg

This Olive whose egg was marked silkie but must have something else in her as well. She is almost three times as big as the others! One of the eggs that didn't hatch was marked buttercup/silkie. I'm wondering if Olive may have buttercup in her?
OliveMarch182.jpg

And this is Georgie, who I had to help out of the shell. Her egg was also marked silkie. I lost the pm fallen sent with the silkie colors she has. I do remember buff as being one of them.
GeorgieMarch18.jpg

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooooo! Sigh, I knew I shouldn't have asked.
hmm.png
LOL, well, I'll start training them to be quiet roos. Thatl work, right???

edited for the most ridiculous typos I've produced in a while. Guess I was more tired than I realized!

Last edited:
hey hen, i think buttercup pulled a fast one on me and laid an egg smaller than her typical eggs . . . i'm almost certain now that olive is a silkie/buttercup mix!

i love the feathering on the silkie's legs - so fluffy and pretty!

don't despair yet about sex. because the first two are mixes it will be even harder to tell based on things like comb and face coloration. buttercup has VERY red facial features - her combs are fire engine red (check out my avatar!).

also, the "stance" on the last two don't seem particularily rooish to me.

anywhoo, they are cute. i can't wait to see what they look like once they are all grown.
big_smile.png

Im sorry to be the one to say this, but they all look like little cockerels to me. I may be wrong but thats my guess. Specially the Silkie and Silkie Cross, you usually dont see a comb size that large in a Silkie at such a young age and it not be a boy. All very pretty birds, and that Silkie looks just plain cool!

~Casey

Quote:
Thanks, yes that's my son. He loves these chicks and we've prepared him that we won't be able to keep more than one rooster, if any. We've got more chicks (all pullets) ordered so he'll be okay in the long run, but he watched two of these three hatch so he really thinks of them as "his".

Well, he is a very cute boy....I can remember as a kid how hard it was to deal with the fact that I was eating my "buddies"...yet it is a hard fact of life.

Better to learn where food comes from and to respect it. Then we can perhaps teach them not to waste...not to take more food than we can eat.

Now if I can only learn this lesson. Only I still feel I need to clean my plate....then it all goes to my thighs...
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom