Pictures of Coop Construction. The first real build is DONE!

This is so nice! My coop is soooo ugly (and I see now that I placed my rafter ties wrong!)
sad.png
It does not matter which side the rafter ties go on unless it is specified by local building code. On a home they will be covered by either drywall on the inside or soffit on the outside wall. It especially does not matter on a chicken coop, because the chickens could care a less.

I have been a contractor in Florida and Georgia for years. The hurricane codes only ensure the whole structure blows away at one time instead of in pieces. The codes are reasonably based on category 2 hurricanes. Categories 3-5 damage will be sustained. Sustained winds from a cat 4-5 storm will pull the entire roof off. I saw this in person the day after Hurricane Andrew hit Miami. I was on the way down there as soon as the storm passsed. Maybe one day I'll get bored and scan all the 35mm photos I took the morning after. There were trailer parks that were missing. Every car and every building in South Miami that was outside had glass busted out. Eighty foot concrete light poles snapped off even with the ground. The body count was seriously underestimated. There were some neighborhoods blown into the Everglades, some trailer parks into the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
You should find a cedar tree, cut it down and use for your roost, this will cut down on the mites your chickens pickup. Most pest do not like cedar, mites, flees etc.

I am new to raising chickens my self but just wanted to show the progress of my coop and run.
The run is part of an old Carolina carport I had and the coop is being built to look like an old rustic house. I have old cedar fence boards I am going to use as siding. I still have a long way to go but here are some pictures of the progress
5adahyva.jpg
2a2esyta.jpg
eryga9y9.jpg
gyhenege.jpg
sy6a2uje.jpg
ve7uva6y.jpg
jubena7a.jpg
yze3y9u3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The unsupported cantilever is too large. You should install some diagonal bracing down to the ground support in the rear from the top front. If you choose not to , don't be surprised when things start to sag, over time.

Of course, maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, with a measly 40+ years of designing, building and inspecting concrete, steel and timber structures.

edupygy8.jpg
eta5e8e5.jpg
a8ema4yj.jpg
y9egajyp.jpg
yhegy3yq.jpg
ahuduryn.jpg

Almost finished. I don't think it will sag with the steal bracing that is now on it. I don't want to go to the ground with anything cause I will install wheels in the back so I can move it with my tractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a simple question, the dimension in the project of the first coop is in inch or cm?

How much cost in your side the structural wood?
The dimensions in my first coop are in feet and inches to maximize the efficiency of using standard lumber in the US. The siding were I believe about $40 a sheet when I built the coop in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom