Pictures of my new chicks! (And a LOAD of questions)

amour.chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
Here are some pictures of my six new White Leghorn Pullets! <3
Can anyone tell me about how old them are?

album.php

I have a few questions about the chicks though.

I read online that you can put some milk in the chicks water, is that true? Could it hurt them?

I have the temperature at about 95-100 degrees, is that too hot? They seem to be doing fine, they're eating good, they're playing and drinking. They're not all huddled in a corner. The red heat lamp is in the middle of the brooder, is that the right spot for them?

My little sister was also wondering if you could give chicks baths. I think that it would make them really cold, but I was reading about how to get chicks ready for shows and they said that you could bathe them. Is that only after they got their feathers?

We put some nail polish on the tips of each of their wings, will that hurt them? I made sure that the nail polish was dry before I let them down. Will the nail polish come off of them? They are starting to get some feathers on their wings and their butt.

I have the chicks in my room because it's the warmest place and the safest. I have a little brother, Jack, he's a year and a half and he can be rough. So I'm keeping them in my room so that he cannot hurt them. My sisters wanted to see them run around so I put a table cloth on the ground so that if they poop it won't be on my carpet. They were only out for about ten minutes and then we put them back in their brooder, should they not be out by now? They have not been outside because it's been rainy here.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong? If there is PLEASE TELL ME!

Oh, and are ALL chicks messy eaters? Mine seem to knock the food out of their feeder and mix it in with the pine shavings! XD

Thanks a ton! (I'll post a TON more pictures tomorrow!~)

Bekah

I can't see the pics, but it sounds like you are doing fine. The temp probably be dropped just a smidget, but if there is room for them to get away from the heat then don't worry to much until next week.
smile.png

No baths, the lamp is fine as long as they look ok, do not take them outside- outside until they are around a few weeks old, running around inside is fine, as long as they are in a safe draft-free area, and they are wonderfully messy eaters, and drinkers, I would not put milk in the water, water is just fine, nail polish is fine as long as they don't start picking at each other.
You can upload pictures by going to the button on the blue line at the top of the page that says uploads.
Did not know if you knew this but JIC they pant when they are hot.

Last edited:
Yeah, the pic doesnt show up.....

I would put the light more towards the side of the box instead of the middle... that way they can move if it's too hot.

No baths.

And why in the world are you putting nail polish on the tips of their wings?!

Last edited:
I read online that you can put some milk in the chicks water, is that true? Could it hurt them?
it doesn't hurt them as long as you don't do it too often. people sometimes do it to "clean out" the chicks intestine and what-not because they are lactose intolerant and it just sort of flushed their system

I have the temperature at about 95-100 degrees, is that too hot? They seem to be doing fine, they're eating good, they're playing and drinking. They're not all huddled in a corner. The red heat lamp is in the middle of the brooder, is that the right spot for them?
sounds like they're doing okay. just make sure that their food & water is placed outside the heated area, in your case that would be the corners of the brooder. sounds like a good setup to me
smile.png

My little sister was also wondering if you could give chicks baths. I think that it would make them really cold, but I was reading about how to get chicks ready for shows and they said that you could bathe them. Is that only after they got their feathers?
you should only give them baths after they have all of their feathers. little chicks sometimes get really filthy and gross, but instead of giving them a bath you can use a damp paper towel to wipe them off. you should give them a bathing area though, just put a little pan of dust, sand or potting soil and they will 'bathe' in it.

We put some nail polish on the tips of each of their wings, will that hurt them? I made sure that the nail polish was dry before I let them down. Will the nail polish come off of them? They are starting to get some feathers on their wings and their butt.
the nail polish will come off, but try not to put too much on them because the fumes might be dangerous. are you doing this for identification purposes? might not be a good idea if it's 'just for looks'

I have the chicks in my room because it's the warmest place and the safest. I have a little brother, Jack, he's a year and a half and he can be rough. So I'm keeping them in my room so that he cannot hurt them. My sisters wanted to see them run around so I put a table cloth on the ground so that if they poop it won't be on my carpet. They were only out for about ten minutes and then we put them back in their brooder, should they not be out by now? They have not been outside because it's been rainy here.
i let mine outside on good days, supervised from a week old. letting them out, playing with them (gently) and holding them is good for them and keeps them socialized as long as you make sure they don't get too hungry & thirsty during play times. if they start shivering or panting it's time for them to go back into the brooder
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom