Pictures of my Rabbits. Free Ranging.

believe it or not my rabbits only have 1-2 litters a year. i pick the prettiest of the bunch of each litter and sell the others.

when i see a mother gathering stuff for her nest i catch her and give her a nest box food and water and put her in a pen.

out of all the rabbits ive let out in 3-4 years ive only lost 3. they live outside 24/7. just saying... :)

3_100_5279.jpg

Not all free range rabbits go feral and run off. We had several who were quite tame, running up to us for treats with the chickens when ever we had scratch corn, lettuce, or kitchen scraps. They followed us around, visited our neighbors, and spent the night with the goose flock.

This was our last "Backyard Bunny". Our neighbors named him Round-Up Rabbit because he always followed the geese up and down the driveway, and over to the neighbor's yard. He would run in circles around any stragglers, as though he was herding them.

He, and our previous yard bunnies, didn't range further than our closest neighbor's yards on either side of us. Of course, we only had male yard bunnies so that there wouldnt be any litters for the feral cats to eat.
sad.png

Chel

Quote:
Are they tame enough that they'll come to you easily with bribes of food or something? I'm only asking because I know someone who's regular, penned rabbit got out and it took him DAYS to catch it and I have this hilarious mental image from his story.
lol.png

Quote:
Are they tame enough that they'll come to you easily with bribes of food or something? I'm only asking because I know someone who's regular, penned rabbit got out and it took him DAYS to catch it and I have this hilarious mental image from his story.
lol.png

just like the person above you said.. they run to me if im throwing scratch grain,or any kind of feed to the chickens. its funny to see them in the winter time when im giving them there feed. they all have to jump 10 feet over the snow to get to me. its so cute.! mine are very tame though.

Quote:
That you know of. Rabbits will typically breed again as soon as they give birth-they're either having them and losing them somewhere, or they're reabsorbing/aborting them early in pregnancy.

Also, chicken scratch and grains are terrible for rabbits.

How do we allow our 4 kit rabbits and 4 adult rabbits to run free in a space in the yard. How do you predator proof it. Deer netting on top.. Do you dig 3 feet or more down and put some kind of heavy netting. Not chicken wire fencing because it's to them and can be eaten through.maybe concrete on top of it.or wood or metal. Space around area. Wood bricks netting or fencing.something to block holes. A warm shed I enclosed for shelter. Anything else.

Back
Top Bottom