Pictures of our new coop used pallets before and after

You have done a wonderful job. Quite a change from the "before"!
thumbsup.gif

I can't say this project has been cheap. I now think I am helping Lowes keep their Nascar racing team going
roll.png
. We got 4x4 post set for pens today. We rented a post hole auger to go on our Bobcat for the weekend. Spent most of yesterday just figuring out how to make 4 seperate pens off of the coop without digging in tree roots of very large 100+ year old oak trees. Tomorrow we are going to use the auger to dig a trench across our driveway for electric for the coop. So much for a nice relaxing holiday weekend
th.gif

I got a few pictures taken today. We have a 6' x 8' area when we enter the new coop to store feed and collect eggs without going into each pen. We have a 8' x 8' coop straight in from outside walk in door and each wing/coop is 6' x 14' and has a 4' tall walk in door. We have to duck to go through door but then can stand up to fill feeders and waters. Here is a picture of one of our nesting boxes. This was a bottom kitchen cabinet - I got 3 of them for $10.00 each at ReUse Store. They are 27"wide x 24"deep x 36" high. I still need to put latches on doors and add straw before I let chickens use them. I have them blocked off till chicks are older. They are under the poop boards and roost in 8'x 8' coop. Here's the chickens entrance side. Don't laugh - this 5 drawer dresser was Free and set out for garbage truck pick up. Each drawer is 26" x 18" . Top drawer is now just for storage The drawers pull out to collect eggs. I used linoleum to protect bottom of drawers. Here's what the chickens side looks like (I have chicken wire covering entrances right now until chicks get old enough to use nesting boxes) My chickens like group nesting boxes. Most of my layers use one covered cat litter box and only a couple use the nicely designed ones I made for them in our other coop. So for this coop I wanted something simple and cheap. I even used boards off pallets on these nesting boxes. I have 2 extra drawers from the dresser. I guess I can keep them if, I need to replace the drawers in nesting box at some point. So, What do you think of my recycled re-purposed nesting boxes in our new coop?
I love love love the up cycled dresser idea.

The dresser and kitchen cabinets are working great but I noticed some of the hens were only laying in the darkest areas in the boxes.
I attached some black scrap fabric to the peek window on the collection side - to give the hens more privacy. I have also switched from using straw bedding in the boxes to fine shavings. Now the hens Really Love them and the boxes and the eggs stay clean.
celebrate.gif

Wow! This truly is an amazing makeover project! You've brought a whole new meaning to "reduce, reuse, recycle ". I think it's awesome! And I'm sure your chickens are all quite happy with their new home!

I WANT one!...... so jealous!!! WOOHOO....What a transformation So whats the final inside size PICS of inside?
How many chickens will be in there?.

Back
Top Bottom