Pied Pattern

I'm starting to understand some of how the genetics work thanks to you guys and threads like these. Thanks for all the info you guys are giving.

Wow ColbyNTX those sure are pretty chicks. They are going to be beautiful.

Peggy, I wasn't trying to hijack your thred, just also trying to understand this pied gene. Thanks Deerman and Kev! So, these two pied chicks are brother sister, brother brother or sister sister so they won't be bred togather. What would be the best choice to breed them with to get a high percent of pied chicks? My white out of a silver pied, BS, IB?

Quote:
Yes, she hatched 3 eggs, 1 IB and 2 pied! These are not my birds but the man I got them from only has the IB hen and a white cock. I saw both birds and she was not pied and he was solid white.

Here are the babies at about 2 1/2 weeks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30095_pied_chicks_009.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30095_pied_chicks_013.jpg

I'm not doubting or questioning anything you have said, just trying to figure out how these 2 pied chicks came from an IB and white cross.

Congrats on nice looking pieds!

Chicks are proof the IB hen is split pied. She's carrying the pied gene 'hidden'.. pure luck she was mated with a white male.

When people talk genetics, it is normal/for simplicity's sake to assume the animals involved in the question are 'pure'. So when someone asks what do you get by breeding an IB to a white, the 'right answer' is all IB split white, because most IB are not pied or white carriers. That IB hen is an exception, she happened to be a pied split as evidenced by pied chicks.. now we know in this particular case we need to change the breeding question to what do you get by breeding a white male to IB split pied hen? Answer: 1/2 pied, 1/2 IB split white.

Your white out of silver pied would be the best one for more pieds- chicks would come out half pied half white. Breeding pied to IB or BS will not give pieds... unless they are surprises like that IB hen and happen to be pied or white splits.

For maximum number of pied chicks, need to breed dark pied(genetically pure pied) to white as that will result in 100% pied chicks.

ColbyNTX.....You sure didn't hijack anything.....Gracious I am grateful for the information from everyone. I am trying to learn and really appreciate the information that is shared....You trying to figure out your chicks just helps me !!

Next question: If a Silver Pied India Blue male is bred to India Blue females and an India Blue White Eye female but none of the chicks exhibit the "Pied" coloration isn't it probable that the resulting India Blue chicks would be split to Silver Pied ? What are the possibilities in this group ?

I am picking up some peachicks tomorrow and am trying to make some kind of "partially informed" decision about selecting them.....(1)This pen is headed by a Purple Silver Pied male with Purple Pied hen, Purple Silver Pied hen, and Purple White Eye hen. There are evident purple silver pied, purple pied, and purple chicks in this group. (2)The other pen is headed by a Blue India Silver Pied male with India Blue hens and an India Blue White Eye hen...the chicks are IB but no pied....hence my question about the "split to Silver Pied" out of this Blue pen...

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much.

Peggy

Hi everyone,
I find the genetics so interesting --- and VERY confusing!!!! My question...... how do you end up with Silver? And is there only a Silver Pied? I ask this because I have a Purple Pied peachick with very little (like 5%) coloring and someone on the board said ---- Silver Pied........ what makes it a silver?

Thanks to everyone who is so patient and willing to share information!
Trudi

Trudi
Silver pieds have very little color they are 80% to 95% white with a little color. Silver pieds are produce when you have 3 genes working together you have pied, white-eye and white. If you chick is only 5% color on it it is a purple silver pied.

Quote:
Doug, if that's the case, how come I never got silver pied out of 2 unrelated silver pied males bred with white-eyed hens split white and whites out of white-eyes over 3 seasons? Chicks came out "IB"(white eyed), pure white, all pieds had low % white on them.

Quote:
Doug, if that's the case, how come I never got silver pied out of 2 unrelated silver pied males bred with white-eyed hens split white and whites out of white-eyes over 3 seasons? Chicks came out "IB"(white eyed), pure white, all pieds had low % white on them.

Kev
The chicks that you produce were not pieds they were white-eyes some white-eyes will have a little white on them. The only way to get silver pied out of that breeding is the white-eye hen would have to be a pied white-eye. Your blue white-eye hen is only split white she need to be split pied in order to produce silver pied both parent has to carry the pied and white-eye gene

Quote:
The chicks would be half split pied and half split white. Keep in mind that the pieds with patches of white are 'literally' genetically half pied half white. So the silver pied is technically split for both silver pied and white. That's why pieds(with big patches of white) cannot breed true. Usually split white have white on flights, split pieds have no white. Many if not all chicks from above would be white-eyed. They still can be used for producing silver pied chicks in the future especially if bred with silver pieds- if you're getting a bunch, choose both chicks with white on wings and those without any white from this pen.

I am picking up some peachicks tomorrow and am trying to make some kind of "partially informed" decision about selecting them.....(1)This pen is headed by a Purple Silver Pied male with Purple Pied hen, Purple Silver Pied hen, and Purple White Eye hen. There are evident purple silver pied, purple pied, and purple chicks in this group.
Peggy

This is an excellent one for getting pieds. All of these chicks will be purples too. What Doug said re: silver pied chicks. These are the ones almost all white save for a few little patches of color. If you want a pied with more white, choose the chicks with least amount of white, or vice versa.. do not let anybody tell you the chicks will 'get more white' or 'get more color' as they grow. The color/white patches are set for life, however the appearance will seem to change some due to feathers growing out and covering more area, especially areas where long feathers are. The areas on the male's tail are dramatic examples. That reminds me- if you want a male with white in tail, need to pick out chicks with an clear white patch on lower back close to the real tail.

Also, this pen should produce some solid white chicks, those are also very useful for breeding silver pieds. For example if this white is bred with a silver pied, you will get half silver pieds and half whites. Also even though you won't be able to visually tell in any way, those are also genetically purple and can be used for breeding with purples too.​

Quote:

Not Doug , but in your case Kev the white and split white need to be from whites out of silver pied.

I have a peacock that is Blackshoulder pied white eye, he has all three genes. Now all silver pied carry all three of the genes, but not all birds carring all three genes are silver pied

Back
Top Bottom