Pied Peafowl?????

Thanks, I love the genetics lesson. I'm printing it to keep as reference. So, there is no way of telling which of my birds carries the white or pied gene? And I will have to sell these peeps as unknown/pieds? I'm kinda sad- wanted India Blue chicks- to keep another hen.

Thanks, I love the genetics lesson. I'm printing it to keep as reference. So, there is no way of telling which of my birds carries the white or pied gene? And I will have to sell these peeps as unknown/pieds? I'm kinda sad- wanted India Blue chicks- to keep another hen Presence of one copy of pied gene alone can not show any white visually. so we can not tell.. The chick on the extreme right is a pied one carrying one white gene and one pied gene.. Split white birds usually have a couple of white flight feathers on one or both the wings and some times carry a small white throat patch also. Parental description helps predict the chicks genetics based on princeples.

Last edited:
Tomorrow, Lucy(the hen) should start moving around with the chicks a bit, so I'll try to get some clear pictures. The white wing feathers and throat patch- would be on the adults?
This is her with last years chicks, which both ended up as pied hens, primarily brown with white side patches.

Now when you say w.f.f.- what is that? Maybe white wing feathers? Here are the 6 peeps today. Am I safe in assuming the 3 brown chicks will "appear" as solid India Blues? and the 3 yellows are Pieds? You mentioned a white and a pied gene? how does that work? Then, both my male and female are carriers of a recessive gene? I really appreciate your knowledge about this.

Some of my pieds came from IB parents that expressed no white all.
hu.gif

Some of my pieds came from IB parents that expressed no white all.
hu.gif

I would be thrilled if I got some pieds from mine! Neither of the boys have any white that I can see, but all three hens have white flights and one has a small throat patch. Sure wish I knew something about their parents.
hu.gif

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks, I love the genetics lesson. I'm printing it to keep as reference. So, there is no way of telling which of my birds carries the white or pied gene? And I will have to sell these peeps as unknown/pieds? I'm kinda sad- wanted India Blue chicks- to keep another hen.

Cute chicks!

-Kathy

Now when you say w.f.f.- what is that? Maybe white wing feathers? Here are the 6 peeps today. Am I safe in assuming the 3 brown chicks will "appear" as solid India Blues? and the 3 yellows are Pieds? You mentioned a white and a pied gene? how does that work? Then, both my male and female are carriers of a recessive gene? I really appreciate your knowledge about this.
W.f.f= white flight feathers. You got 3 pied chicks. Each chick derived one white gene from one parent and one pied gene from another.The other 3 ;look Indiablue. . Genetically, hard to tell without knowing the genetic make up of their parents.Are all the chicks from one father and one mother ? If so, they could be split pied, could be split white. The parents are likely Indiablue color and also carry pattern genes, one parent with a white gene and the other parent with a pied gene. Each of Your pied chick got one white gene (genetic code T) and one pied gene (genetic code pd). This chick also got Indiablue gene, one or two copies (genetic code BB) This chick at maturity will pass on either white gene or pied gene to each chick but not both. as a result half of the chicks get white gene and the other half pied gene. Also, each chick gets One copy of Indiablue gene ( hoping he got two two copies of B gene)

Okay, this is excellent information, I just wish my brain wasn't so rusty on this stuff. I'll get it though-give me time. To answer your question, the six chicks are from the same hen and cock. Both my birds look like full India Blues.... though now I'm looking more closely and noticing white wing(flight?) feathers on each adult. The two adults are not related to each other. Knowing where the adults came from, I would say the hen has a sketchier background, but the male came from a more controlled breeding enviroment. I don't want to inundate you with pictures, but I am including pictures of last years chicks from the same parents. Also pictures that show some white wing feather on the male and female. Are these feathers significant?Last Years chciks- same parents .
The parents (not the middle hen-she passed away) -are those w.f.f.s
My only male -are those white wing feathers significant? They rarely show- but looking closely now.

Back
Top Bottom