Pieds and whites... pics???

Poor peas are having to find new nesting areas as do all the guineas, we had a flood, killed everything in our gardens, messed up nest areas.
Poor peas and guineas stayed in the trees and on top og the buildings, the ducks and geesze loved it though.
There is a pond out there under that lake.

The peas are very happy today, the sun came out and the water has drained off.

Now i am off on an egg hunt. i found 2 places but not sure if it is the same females laying , i got to get up in the loft of the barn and look, the pied has been up there in the late evening by her self.

Wow looks like you are having the same kind of weather we had with T.S. Debby a few weeks ago. So much flooding Obama declared our county a Federal disaster area...I had a river flowing in my back yard. The next day I found fish flapping on the ground! Had to bring in all my juvenile chickens as they were sitting in mud and screaming for help so I had 12 chickens in the bathtub. It rained literally for 24 hrs. straight!

Bet your geese are happy
smile.png

Yea we got a foot of rain in like 8 hours i think , we needed it but not like this, this place never use to flood but there was a 600 acre development went in when they cut the ditches into the creek it had more runoff than it could handle now everyone floods in this area, and the poor saps that bought that rice field land have to deal will flooding every time it rains for a day.

What do those of you with free range peafowl on large parcels of land do about your peahens during breeding season? Predators are such a problem here in TX Hill Country they can very easily be killed on their nests.

Really enjoying these pictures. I love my White-eyed Pied I posted earlier. Here is my 3 year old standard Pied I raised from a chick.

Wow they're all so beautiful!!!
I'd like to know also (about free range hens) as we plan to free range ours. we have free range chickens and none have ever been killed by a preditor (north east pa) but i'm sure a hen laying in her nest could be a different story.... should we pitch a tent and keep the guns handy if one lays in a unsafe place?

If predators aren't bad I leave my free range hens on the nests if they are near enough to the house. I keep a baby monitor on so I can hear any disturbances and I'm out in a flash. Last year because of a drought the predators were starving so I had to pen my 3 hens to keep them safe. I couldn't get the male in so there were no chicks. Many people I know loose their females during mating season. Not worth the life of my girls to get chicks.

Believe me, pictures don't do them justice. I was looking at my male today, he's a pure black-shouldered and every feather of his has an iridescent shine to it. More than you can imagine. He sits right on a coop looking into my window, I am inches away from him and he doesn't mind. Just reminds me of why I have peafowl
love.gif
. They make you say "Wow" no matter how many times you've seen them before.

Back
Top Bottom