piercings and tattoos for them or against them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this, I also have a couple of tattoos and my naval pierced and have had my nose pierced multiple times. I don't think judgement should be put on someone by their apperance. People surprise you.. Tattoos are not a fad, people have been getting tattoos for way to many years to be considered a fad..

Well here you go my turn, I graduated from high school with a C average a brief college attempt quit went to work ended up running a business for the last 20 plus years I make a 6 digit income and have no tattoos or piercings. I have hired people that are hard working reliable and some have had an ear pierced and a handful of tattoos. I can tell you as an employer and you can call it discrimination, generalizing or what ever floats your boat but impressions say a lot. If a 90 pound weakling applies as a choker setter I will not hire him based on appearance, if someone who is 400 pounds applies I probably will not hire him based on appearance, if that person is a walking lightning rod I probably will not hire him based on appearance, tattoos all over the body I probably will not hire him. People that choose and I emphasize choose to adorn themselves with dyes, tats and metals I probably will not hire them BASED ON APPEARANCE but if the person was being interviewed over the phone that would be different but appearance is important and it really is up to the employer as you are actually WORKING for them and maybe that is a bigger problem that coming to an interview with the attitude that I owe you a job, some do.

People make choices in life and should be prepared to handle the inevitable negative connotation that come with doing something abnormal regardless as it will happen it is a reality in this world. Some of you tat owners have said you cover them and that tells me that you do realize they are offensive or at least controversial and hide them which is just common sense and that is a quality that I will hire someone for. As I said in another post anyone can buy an education tattoos or no tattoos but you cannot buy common sense.

I bet he does now, prison tats.
smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
I've known lots of kids with tattoos who are good kids. My FIL has tattoos and so does my Navy vet DH (although his is invisible when he's working). That said, if a person with facial tattoos, or tattoos/piercings that are visible and that take away from the generally accepted business appearance wants us to risk our company's existence on the odds that our customers won't be turned off by his or her appearance and take their business to a more "traditional" looking sales rep, it ain't gonna happen in this nightmare economy.

Now if our business was online, or labor oriented and the person was skilled, then sure, we'd give the most qualified person the job, green mohawk and all
thumbsup.gif

Can't say I'd want to work for any employer who is judging me based solely on the fact I have piercings and tattoos. You look at my work history, recommendations, education history and everything, I'm clearly a good employee that most companies would like. You think I'm going to be a problem simply because I have my ears, nose and eyebrow pierced that you can see, then I'll go to the next company and get hired.

However, so far, I've not had a problem with my pretty nose piercing. Had a problem because I have curly hair - yes, seriously. Had a problem because I'm married to a Marine.

Mine are easily hidden because I don't want anything on my front - pregnancy will distort the tattoos something horrible - plus I don't like walking around with my front or back exposed. I've got a few tattoos on my lower legs and feet, but at work, I'm wearing pants and shoes, not parading around in shorts and flip flops. My nape however is visible today because my hair is all put up, and I've got the piercings and tattoo visible. The highest manager in my building has walked by my desk 3 times today, and stopped and talked to me, so I know he's seen the work there. Amazingly enough, he knows I'm a valuable employee and that the nape work does not interfer with my job.

Personally, I think it's kinda creepy. I knew this guy who was in his 60s and had a whole bunch of tattoos and he said he regretted getting them, cause now that he's older it doesn't look good at all. I've never had a piercing, not even my ears, cause I don't like to wear jewelry, I think it just gets in the way. I would never get a tattoo cause once it's there it will never go away (except in some painful removal that leaves you with scar tissue)

If he did have them they probably would not look the same now
lol.png
I guess I should renew my subscription to prison digest.
smile.png
Mike Tyson would be a better example but he was innocent as I recall him saying.
Quote:

Doubtful, he was executed.

Tat and piercings like anything in life can be done to excess. I think people who choose to decorate their bodies with tasteful tats should be given the same opportunities as anyone. I don't really see how it's any different than someone who chooses to decorate themselves with makeup, plastic surgery or even hair dye. But again, too much is distracting in my opinion and obscene tats should be hidden (again in my opinion).
For the record I have one tat and if I could justify the expense I might embellish that one tat just a tad but I have many, many kids and animals and for now money goes to them.

She and I got our backs done in our mid late forties.
It was something that we'd been interested in since
our twenties but it's forever and we never could find
images we would commit to. Finally she found something
she liked, a tiger image on a candy bar in Starbucks and being the one with
the most courage she had it done on the back of her right shoulder,
about 8 by 8

Finally I found my image with the help of a highly recommended artist
who made xerox like things and transfered them onto my back in different sizes
and we chose a size and my wife looks at it and says "mine's too small" and
immediately goes into collaboration with the artist ( a woman ) and begin to
plan the rest of her back out.

More than ten years later it is still a masterpiece, Marguerite did single needle
color blending and had a great eye for color. Neither of us regrets it a bit and
it was funny to have our kids go "Eeuuwwww." We do agree that it's best not
to get a "postage stamp." If you want a tattoo, spend at least a few years deliberating
on what you want to wear permanently and whether you want it visible to all or
on view only when you choose. Find an artist by looking at other peoples tats
and asking "who?". Everyone is willing to talk about their ink and many will freely show you
other tats in places that might surprise you.

We were at a BBQ a few years ago and the top of her tat was showing and then she
showed it and tells them to see mine and finally they get my shirt up and everyone
goes wow and all of a sudden everyone is showing, women stretching clothing to
reveal, men rolling up and lifting shirts, more than 20 people bared something and
the ages ran from maybe 45 to 60. A group of ordinary people. It was a fun night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom