piercings and tattoos for them or against them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can tell this is written by someone who has never had a tattoo done. If you go to a REPUTABLE artist (not some "kitchen scratcher"), you would know that they cover the guns with plastic and tape (at least mine does) that gets changed and thrown away after EVERY tattoo. Even if I were to get two tattoos done on the same day, one right after the other, my artist would change EVERYTHING. Needles are single use, no need to worry about re-using needles. Everything that could come into contact with blood is covered with plastic wrap and discarded as soon as he is done. He wears gloves that he changes multiple times during the process. He also wears disposable aprons when he tattoos. Everything that is reusable is auto-claved at the end of the day or before he begins the next day.

Also, just because I have tattoos does NOT mean I am a risk-taker. I am about the most careful and paranoid you will meet. For me, my tattoos are a way for me to always have things with me that mean the most to me. My kids, my football teams, my favorite characters. Yes, it may seem dumb to you and others, but again, it is MY body and no one has the right to judge me based on what I look like. I don't do it to people and don't appreciate it being done to me.

I'm sorry....in the medical field, plastic wrap and tape over the equipment doesn't render it sterile and autoclaving repeat use equipment at the end of a day wouldn't cut it if it has only been protected by plastic wrap and tape. And I don't recall typing on my post that anyone seemed dumb to me or even others and no one was judging you, just stating the facts about disease transmission in invasive procedures. Please don't place words in my mouth and make me out to be the enemy...after all, even if I were against them, the title of the thread asks that very question. I'm assuming they were wanting both sides of the coin.

Hey, I'm not the one judging all you inked and pierced folks, I'm just the messenger. I've worked in medical facilities in three different states and they all have policies against facial piercings and visual tattoos...but mostly the piercings. Some of the nicest people I know around here have tats...my mechanic, for one, and he is pure gold.

The fact remains that some parts of the states still don't equate tats and piercings with a professional appearance and the job market is pretty competitive. Unless they are low wage jobs or so high a wage that no one can really question your appearance~the music industry, certain think tanks, showbiz...at the mid-level, jobs are hard to obtain in some areas if you don't have a professional appearance that won't put off certain clients.

I don't know... "tattoos indicate a laCk of sound judgement" just oozes stereotyping and judging us to me. You said the first time that employers will not hire people with tats because they show a lack of sound judgement, then you say it's because we don't look professional. I personally believe it's the latter, and has everything to do with appearance, and not that were all nutjobs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now, read again....slowly....notice the qualifiers? The words "can" and "may" and the sentence where I state that these would not likely mean anything to ME if I were hiring....

See? Proving the point already....rash statements and hasty accusations can be lumped into the "poor judgement" category.
wink.png
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sure you are right (insert Sarcasm sign)... they have been around since 2000 BC

I am sure they will fade away any day now....
roll.png

In terms of tattoos on actual bodies, the earliest known examples were for a long time Egyptian and were present on several female mummies dated to c. 2000 B.C. But following the more recent discovery of the Iceman from the area of the Italian-Austrian border in 1991 and his tattoo patterns, this date has been pushed back a further thousand years when he was carbon-dated at around 5,200 years old.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/tattoo.html#ixzz1Oh3HbyBI

thumbsup.gif
:thumbsup

Quote:
Now, read again....slowly....notice the qualifiers? The words "can" and "may" and the sentence where I state that these would not likely mean anything to ME if I were hiring....

See? Proving the point already....rash statements and hasty accusations can be lumped into the "poor judgement" category.
wink.png
smile.png

Where was the rash statement and hasty accusation? And at any rate how does that qualify as poor judgement? That makes no sense whatsoever. I was simply putting how YOUR opinion may seem to people like myself. "can" and "may" doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't mean anything to you.
If I said "people can and may be pretty combative and patronizing in these threads." I'm pretty sure you would take that as my opinion.

Last edited:
You know what? You are right! I have obviously been horribly mean and combative in my posts on this thread, as anyone can tell, and I must apologize! Just must be poor judgement on my part....
smile.png
Please forgive me?

hmm.png
can and may are the operative words here. I never said you were patronizing and combative. I just simply stated that some posts on here MAY be interpreted that way. It in no way reflects how I feel. You shouldn't beat yourself up by coming to those conclusions. It really shows a lack of sound judgement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom