Pig feeder

Livinzoo

Songster
13 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Statham, GA
With having 6 goats and 3 pigs in the same pasture it has been hard getting in with all their food. So I made a pig feeder that I can feed them from outside the pen with. They eat about 15lbs cottage cheese, 4 gallons buttermilk, pig food and corn a day. Plus any scraps we have.

What do you think
6911_april_183.jpg

cool idea! when we go into the pen to feed the goats and pigs its like WW3! shoving and grunting and BAAAing and head butting and hurt feelings...
roll.png
....because he got fed before the other one!...
gig.gif
feeding from the outside sounds WAY better too me!...
th.gif

Last edited:
Oh I thought I was the only one enduring such a fight. I was putting some food in a dish. Throwing corn ( to get everyone away from the gate) Running in with a bowl. Trying to get it in the pasture as far as I can before they get back to me. Running to stop any goats from heading out to the wagon with their food in it outside the gate. Grabbing another dish. Fill it up and repeat. Then I could go feed the goats, just to come back and top off the pig food. All the while enduring pig noses rubbing against me with milk all over their noses.

When it rains......well that is a whole different adventure. They have decimated all the grass near the gate. So it is mud. You sink down at least an inch if not more and its like a slip and slide. Oh the horrors!!

Lets hope this feeder works. I can already tell I will have to add another as they get bigger.

Quote:
HAHAHAHA! i can tell you know how it is!
lau.gif
when my hubby reads this thread he's gonna laugh! its his life every day!
lol.png

Wow, that's exactly what its like for me when I go to feed my dogs except mine will start to fight and then there is a lot of screaming from me for them to stop and hurt bottoms from their not listening. I too, would like step by step directions, please. That just seems soooo much easier.

Its a 55 drum on its side with a rectangle cut out with a reciprocating saw. I then braced it between the 2 4x4 posts and marked an area that I would add a 4 inch PVC. Cut that out too. Then positioned it again and screwed it in with lag bolts with a washer. I used 3 on each side to secure it. The PVC piece consists of 2 sections of 4inch PVC about 9-12 inches each. I also used a 45 degree angle angle and the black flashing piece you see. I got it in the PVC area of the local HD. I attached the PVC to the fence with zip ties. I didn't glue it together put if they knock it apart I will. I don't know if this is detailed enough for you.

Great idea! My pigs could care less if rain, snow or mud is in their food. And even when they are exploding full they still beg for more food.

Back
Top Bottom