Pig Roast info needed

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by annabananaandfamily, May 25, 2011.

1. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Hi All!
    I am planning on trying a pig roast for my husbands birthday. I have never done this before and anxious to try! Anybody have agood recipe? Instructions? Advice?

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    If you do a search under my user name in random ramblings. I had started some threads on the subject. I will try and see if I can find my thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    are you putting it in a pit or on a spit . . . or on a grill?

4. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    The Plan is to put it on a grill. I have a 5x3 grill to use... I'm nervous cause I have NEVER done it and the guest list keeps growing!

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
  6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

A winemaker friend of mine from the old days would have a pig roast on his birthday in August every year. He'd buy wild boar's already dressed and dig a pit and cook it covered in the pit. Every guest would bring one dish and one bottle of wine, coordinated with the hostess. There would be about 50 people, so 50 dishes and 50 bottles of wine - many of the guys he knew were fellow winemakers in the Santa Cruz Mountains area and the stuff they would bring along out of their cellars was amazing. I wish I had the recipe to share with you because it was always really very good. You'll surely have a good time doing this, best of luck.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I haven't done one on the grill but I her that it is the easiest way to do it. There is a TON of stuff on the internet about how to do it, just google search [​IMG]

8. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    The First thing I did was google it....and found more info than I could ever keep up with! I thoyght I would ask around and sert if anyone could suggest their favorites so I atleast know the source. Roast isnt until end of June, so I will let everyone know how it goes then!

9. jfoley

jfoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    what cut of meat are you going to use. pork butt-sholder or what. you need a good rub and lots of time to cook it right. how many people are you going to feed etc. your best bet is to go to COOKSHACK.COM. go to the forum and you can get all the info you need.
    hope this helps.

jfoley

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] sounds like a fun time will be had.
    but never had the expierence to do a pig.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by