Pigeon advice:)

CKMatthews

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Hello y'all!!
I am new to the pigeon world! I just recently aquired a few pigeons and I was wondering if y'all could help me judge if these guys are show quality?! Also where can I find all the information needed for shows? I am getting some more birds this weekend so I will post those here as well! I wasnt sure what kind of photos were needed so i just winged it! Thanks in advance! I'm excited to join the pigeon world!!

This is my male American fantail-
What color is he classified as?
I have not yet learned to lace the feathers so the pic is just of him as is.
How can I get his tail feathers back to normal and not rigid looking at the tips?
null_zps75eb3399.png

null_zps4dc92d17.png

This is my female American Fantail-
Again I don't know how to lace so she is just as is.
What color is she classified as?
How do I get her feathers looking better at the tips?
null_zps34995250.jpg

null_zps1331f959.jpg

This is my male trumpeter-
What color is he classified as?
null_zpsbdd76c1d.jpg

null_zpse8bdc7df.jpg

null_zps76e524a1.jpg

This is my female trumpeter-
What color is she classified as?
Her feather were clipped for breeding
null_zps31fb58dd.jpg

null_zps54367f9a.jpg

null_zpsa4feed8a.jpg

This is my male(?) west of England-
What color is s/he classified as?
null_zpse44afd05.jpg

null_zpsf1862ee0.jpg

This is my female(?) west of England-
Is s/he a splash?
null_zps4232dd90.jpg

null_zps0318fd85.jpg

This is my male west of England-
What color would he be classified as?
null_zps71c0d59b.jpg

null_zps71c0d59b.jpg

null_zps90e7eed9.jpg

This is one of my young west of England-
What color will s/he molt out to?
Male or female?
null_zps4d0f776f.jpg

null_zps20215133.jpg

null_zpsd88ba18f.jpg

This is my other young west of England-
Male or female?
This one is very skidish
(It's the one in front)
null_zps2663383a.jpg

null_zpsf6d8766e.png

How can I get his tail feathers back to normal and not rigid looking at the tips? Make sure there is no blood in any of the feather shafts and haul them out.
null_zps75eb3399.png

Fantail would not place if showed.
null_zps4dc92d17.png

This is my female American Fantail-
Again I don't know how to lace so she is just as is.
What color is she classified as? Blue bar.
How do I get her feathers looking better at the tips?Make sure there is no blood in any of the feather shafts and haul them out.
null_zps34995250.jpg

null_zps1331f959.jpg

This is my male trumpeter- I have no experience showing pigeons first and fore most He is in fair shape with a bit of work he may place.
What color is he classified as? Not sure
null_zpsbdd76c1d.jpg

null_zpse8bdc7df.jpg

null_zps76e524a1.jpg

This is my female trumpeter- Nicest bird so far
What color is she classified as? Maybe Pied
Her feather were clipped for breeding
null_zps31fb58dd.jpg

null_zps54367f9a.jpg

null_zpsa4feed8a.jpg

This is my male(?) west of England- I would say yes but you best ask another pigeon
What color is s/he classified as?
null_zpse44afd05.jpg

null_zpsf1862ee0.jpg

This is my female(?) west of England- She looks like show quality not knowing the standard
Is s/he a splash?
null_zps4232dd90.jpg

null_zps0318fd85.jpg

This is my male west of England-
What color would he be classified as?
null_zps71c0d59b.jpg

null_zps71c0d59b.jpg

null_zps90e7eed9.jpg

This is one of my young west of England- this one has a ways to go before entering a show
What color will s/he molt out to? Maybe checkered
Male or female? ♀ but you best ask another pigeon
null_zps4d0f776f.jpg

null_zps20215133.jpg

null_zpsd88ba18f.jpg

This is my other young west of England-
Male or female? at first glance they both look like ♂ best ask another pigeon
This one is very skidish
(It's the one in front)
null_zps2663383a.jpg

null_zpsf6d8766e.png

Last edited:
The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in that sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

What all do I need to do with my male trumpeter to get him to place? Why wouldn't the fantails place? What's the best way to pull the feathers(I've never pulled them before)? Thanks do much for your help!!!! I'm a newbie at pigeons:) trying to learn all that I can!

What all do I need to do with my male trumpeter to get him to place? I would Google Champion male trumpeter to see what the standard the judges are looking for. Compare your bird to a champion and see where it is strong and where it needs work. Why wouldn't the fantails place? You described it your self missing & ragged looking tail feathers ( I say it would not place but it all depends on your competition on that given day on the brief snap shot in time). What's the best way to pull the feathers(I've never pulled them before)? One at a time with your hands. I would only pull the ones that are beyond repair and can not be salvaged once you are in tune with the tricks of the show ring.

I am a poor person to give advice on showing as I never shown a pigeon in my life. These are just things I remember fancier friends saying and it sounded logical to me at the time. I could be way off base buddy. I think one friend said that if your bird is flighty when the judges come to inspect it and you spread it's wings and display it's plumage you are deducted points. Apparently the way a fancier presents the bird even if it actually a poorer bird than yours could give him the advantage.

Different breeds and categories probably have differing show requirements. Try to prepare yourself in advance to know what the judges will be looking for and how to receive your best score. Fanciers take this sport "VERY" seriously and unless you are prepared and a quick study your chances of placing in your first show is remote at best even if you do have the top bird in some cases.

I will not even get into what it takes to breed a champion. Fanciers take decades to try an attain that mark of perfection.

This is what a Champion Indian fantail looks like (it has a different carriage as opposed to the American fantail).

Housing is very important when showing birds to keep the bird clean and in top plumage. I know some fanciers do not free fly, avoid direct sunlight, and house their birds in darken quarters as to not bleach their colour to give them that added advantage come show time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom