Pigeon Birth Control

Has anyone of our members employed this method?

Something that was brought to my attention for controlling the population in your loft was submerging newly laid eggs in corn oil. This will stop the development of the air sac and hence stop the egg from hatching.
I suppose it could work as it seals the egg stopping air getting in but I'd be worried about it going off.

I suppose it could work as it seals the egg stopping air getting in but I'd be worried about it going off.
That is just my thought also. I used the plastics and they worked well. When they eventually would be thrown out of nest, I would wash them before reusing in next nest. I never needed to, but also did considered just hard-boiling the fresh eggs and they of course would not develop. They also would not pop/explode due to spoiling. At least they would have a longer shelf life than fresh uncooked. I also think that the boiled ones would be harder to accidentally break by pigeons stepping on them.:idunno

Ah okay, for a moment I was confused. But yeah, I mean if you have an overpopulation or something you could do that, but I feel that simply taking the eggs away would be better. Because the females will sit on them forever.

I feel that simply taking the eggs away would be better.
The female once the eggs are taken away in most case will lay again in as early as 10+- days. Then if done repeatedly will eventually effect the overall health of the hen. This is why some method to reduce the fertility of the eggs should be addressed and employed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom