Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Pics
I recently figured out that pigeons don't need to be raised their whole lives in cages if they're gonna be shown! Yay! :wee

However, there are so many different breeds of pigeon. I would only want to use them for show purposes. I want good fliers, but ones that are easily tamed. Fancy frill and curls and things like that would be nice, but not necessary. Are there any breeds that fit that description? Any help would be awesome!

I recently figured out that pigeons don't need to be raised their whole lives in cages if they're gonna be shown! Yay! :wee

However, there are so many different breeds of pigeon. I would only want to use them for show purposes. I want good fliers, but ones that are easily tamed. Fancy frill and curls and things like that would be nice, but not necessary. Are there any breeds that fit that description? Any help would be awesome!

Hi there @ReseisCL16
I think pigeons are really interesting birds and I have almost finished getting a loft built. My goal is to have some Racing Homers as I have fallen for them while doing my research.

Pigeons are easily 'tamed' but not likely to 'enjoy' being picked up. Tame birds tolerate necessary handling.

If you like the fancy frilled birds there is a lot to chose from but you would probably not want to fly those types free and would need an aviary for them. So they could have an outdoor loft and a decent size aviary for exercise.
https://www.facebook.com/OrientalFrills/

Imo you will have to decide if you want to keep show birds or a free flying flock.

You can see some fotos of my (almost finished) loft build on my profile page media.
I posted some cool stuff I found while researching pigeons on this thread, flip thru to see if anything catches your interest.

Welcome to the world of pigeons:D

Awesome! Do you know anything about Portuguese Tumblers? I'm only using them for show, so are there specific colours that are recognized by the NPA? I couldn't find it on their website.

@ReseisCL16 -
So I didn't know about Portuguese Tumblers. I googled them - they are 'bantam' pigeons right? I think they might be relatively expensive but really appealing little birds! What drew your attention to them?

As to colors, I'm not sure about show birds but generally for performance tumblers the color is not relevant and they come in more color varieties than most other breeds. :D From looking at some Youtube vids - it appears they come in all the fun colors and patterns!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=portuguese+tumbler+pigeo

Do you have some pigeons already?

Last edited:
I was looking on Poultry Show Central and found a breeder that shipped. Plus, they looked adorable. This is my first time with pigeons, but I have an extensive flock of exotic show chickens and ducks.
I'm thinking about building a aviary for them above one of my show bird's coops. Do you know how much room a pair or 2 of these 'bantam' tumblers would need based on other pigeon's needs?
I've also heard that you can let the pigeons fly free under observation. Do you do this? I want them to be able to get some exercise :D!
Thanks for replying to my question. No one seems to be able to help me, as pigeons don't seem as popular as other poultry species.

Back
Top Bottom