Pigeon doesn’t notice cats

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
Well the little pigeon I named Dovie has been at my home for 3 months. She stayed up in the rafters on my porch up until about 2 weeks ago. Now she is coming down and spending the day on the ground walking around. Which is great... except that my three cats are very interested in her. The problem is she isn’t afraid of them. Why???? One cat I had to put a bell on and lock her up. The other cat I can’t catch. The thrirf is to old to run but likes the idea of it. How can I keep her safe when she has no fear??

Well the little pigeon I named Dovie has been at my home for 3 months. She stayed up in the rafters on my porch up until about 2 weeks ago. Now she is coming down and spending the day on the ground walking around. Which is great... except that my three cats are very interested in her. The problem is she isn’t afraid of them. Why???? One cat I had to put a bell on and lock her up. The other cat I can’t catch. The thrirf is to old to run but likes the idea of it. How can I keep her safe when she has no fear??
What kind of pigeon? Do you have a picture? If she’s not wild, you might have to keep her inside or in an aviary.

Not sure what you mean by 'interested'... Do they kill prey? Some cats will kill pigeons, others not.
I would let the cats out only when you can watch them closely. If one goes for Dovie you can give a yell and rescue her. The experience could give her the cat wariness she needs.

Not sure what you mean by 'interested'... Do they kill prey? Some cats will kill pigeons, others not.
I would let the cats out only when you can watch them closely. If one goes for Dovie you can give a yell and rescue her. The experience could give her the cat wariness she needs.
2 of my cats have pounced at her. She doesn’t fly off. She just walks away. I look like a lunatic outside running to rescue her. She turns her back on them.

What kind of pigeon? Do you have a picture? If she’s not wild, you might have to keep her inside or in an aviary.
She is a rock pigeon. I think she was about 6 weeks old when she showed up. I have been feeding her ever since. I have tried to get her to eat peanuts out of my hand but she is still unsure. She will get within inches of me but won’t let me touch her.

Back
Top Bottom