Pigeon eggs

PAX
So, should I turn the egg? Or is it lockdown?

Last edited:
PAX
My egg seems to be growing, I think it's still alive. :)I've had it under the Brinsea chick brooder in a basket with nesting. It's nice and warm like the hens' eggs. 🪺The local wildlife rehabber here said it's a dove egg, not a pigeon. 🕊️The egg is halfway dark, with veins. When do I stop rotating and candling this egg? When does it go into "lockdown"?

I took these pictures today: Phone didn't want to focus, so it's a little hard to see details like veins. In this picture you can see how big the dove is, he's definitely grown since Saturday!
View attachment 3749765
Not sure why there is this blank space--is it the air bubble or did the dove die?? 🤔
View attachment 3749767
Here you can see veins and the dove:
View attachment 3749768
A little unfocused, you can see the fluid and part of the dove:
View attachment 3749771
This picture is from last Saturday when I got it.
It has grown since:
View attachment 3749772
Please let me know what you think! I've never rescued a dove egg before.
I'm sorry...it is dead. The dark mass, yellow color, and no visible veins are all indicators that it is gone. You can see a few broken decomposing veins if you look close, but no active ones. Again, I'm sorry. You gave it a good shot. But without a good incubator and an auto turner it's just very hard to get any to hatch. Even my pigeons frequently will only have one hatch. It might not have been anything you did either.
Yes it most likely was a dove. Pigeons nest usually only on buildings or in the tops of farm buildings.

I'm sorry...it is dead. The dark mass, yellow color, and no visible veins are all indicators that it is gone. You can see a few broken decomposing veins if you look close, but no active ones. Again, I'm sorry. You gave it a good shot. But without a good incubator and an auto turner it's just very hard to get any to hatch. Even my pigeons frequently will only have one hatch. It might not have been anything you did either.
Yes it most likely was a dove. Pigeons nest usually only on buildings or in the tops of farm buildings.
PAX
That's okay! :hugsIt was my first time and it was really a shot in the dark. My friend brought it in the evening after a day of work, it might have already been dying from loss of heat.:hmm
I'll be buying an incubator next, to reassure future hatches!:celebrate Thank you so, so much for your help and information!!! 🥰

PAX
That's okay! :hugsIt was my first time and it was really a shot in the dark. My friend brought it in the evening after a day of work, it might have already been dying from loss of heat.:hmm
I'll be buying an incubator next, to reassure future hatches!:celebrate Thank you so, so much for your help and information!!! 🥰
Sorry about the egg @CCsGarden DIY incubating can be difficult:/
You got it pretty far though! If you open it up, share some pictures! It'd be interesting to see how far along it was in the development stage.

PAX
Thank you!:hugs
I will send pictures if I open it up, probably on Monday.😊

Back
Top Bottom