Pigeon Eggs

CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Indiana
I have a pigeon that wants to sit on eggs but hers aren't fertile. I am having a very hard time finding some eggs to purchase. I would prefer parlor rollers or tumblers but I I can't find those, I would go ahead an get some other. She really wants to hatch some. She can only cover 2 eggs, so I wouldn't need very many but would like to get a couple extra just Incase shipping doesn't go too well.

Have you tried local feed mills. They may know a customer that has the type of pigeons you want. Keep in mind that pigeons will not brood much more than 21-25 days; if that. Any eggs that are fostered to this bird has to be close to the pigeon's internal clock and hatch when her own eggs would hatch if fertile.

No one around here gets rid of eggs. There aren't very many people that even have pigeons near me. I know that the clock is ticking on finding eggs, that is why I started searching right away.

Here's another idea. If you just would like this bird to raise something consider ring neck doves. My dove raised a pigeon once so I assume that it would work the other way around. Again with the feed mill, but also pet shops; they might know someone who has ring neck doves.

My pigeons (rock doves), kept squashing ringneck eggs n chicks.. you could order pair of pigeons you want, or pre bred hen maybe even, n foster eggs under yours then every time and get breeding them faster. My parlors had and kept laying eggs upon opening up box from shipping, n eggs all fertile. parlors are extremely fertile birds, but can have rearing trouble if not kept in 20"" high cages, n given peaceful enclosed darker back corners to rear, as strains can be twitchy n spook easy, causing them to roll at random stuff, as they are trying to fly when doing so. low adult caging at three months on stops prob, as is then when they mature and lose total control of roll, but start off able and best flown until then (it streangthens muscles and helps them learm semi awareness of roll. i bred both parlor types, but down to one now breeding pair (their eggs left n almost hatched so couldn't send them, but they are stable line). usually i toss their eggs n id try to send them, but honestly don't know how well would work unless you pay extra to post office in care of (then you might as well have bought pair at that point as garunteed safe).

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Don't have to worry about her crushing any ring necks because I am 100% not considering it. I am eventually doing to buy more adults. But the only reason I want eggs right now is so that she can hatch eggs. Buying adults doesn't help with that problem right now. When I want more adults I can at anytime, but that isn't what I want to do right now. I just wanted to let her hatch some eggs. She isn't a roller either, I think she would be a very good mom. She is pretty calm. I am purchasing some quail eggs and am going to give her some. If someone happens to have a few parlor roller eggs let me know. That is the ONLY thing I am interested in

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Don't have to worry about her crushing any ring necks because I am 100% not considering it. I am eventually doing to buy more adults. But the only reason I want eggs right now is so that she can hatch eggs. Buying adults doesn't help with that problem right now. When I want more adults I can at anytime, but that isn't what I want to do right now. I just wanted to let her hatch some eggs. She isn't a roller either, I think she would be a very good mom. She is pretty calm. I am purchasing some quail eggs and am going to give her some. If someone happens to have a few parlor roller eggs let me know. That is the ONLY thing I am interested in

Many quail species do not lay white eggs. If the eggs are not white your pigeon may not accept them. The incubation period in quail is different too, or might be, depending on the species. Bobwhite quail take longer to hatch than pigeons; the hen might give up before the eggs hatch. If the quail should hatch you'll have to raise them under a heat lamp. I'm sure you know that pigeons can not raise quail.

Many quail species do not lay white eggs. If the eggs are not white your pigeon may not accept them. The incubation period in quail is different too, or might be, depending on the species. Bobwhite quail take longer to hatch than pigeons; the hen might give up before the eggs hatch. If the quail should hatch you'll have to raise them under a heat lamp. I'm sure you know that pigeons can not raise quail.

I've got it all taken care of. Any extra eggs will be going to my incubator or a broody hen I have. So if she decides to give up, which I don't think she will, I can always add then to one or the other. I wasn't going to let her raise them, I am not going to let my chicken raise the ones she hatches either

Back
Top Bottom