Pigeon not flying What is wrong?

El Paso Linda

Songster
Jun 21, 2019
El Paso, TX
A wild Pigeon that hangs around my chicken coop has been walking around my yard all day. It eats the chicken scratch same as usual. The feathers are not ruffled. It does not fly, just walks away from me and the chickens. I put the Pigeon in an outdoor pen with cages of birds for the night. Should I be worried that it may infect my birds with a disease? The Pigeon appears to be an adult. Thanks

Maybe the pigeon is injured from flying into a wire, or similar. :idunno He may have escaped a raptor attack?
I would not be too concerned with disease transmission. We cant live in a world where we are afraid of everything going wrong. If by some chance that pigeon is diseased, it already happened, I really don't think he is. :hugs Feral wild pigeons are usually quite hardy, and the weak/sick usually die off.
Feed the pigeon scratch seeds if you have. Wild bird seeds are even better. Offer water to drink in a container about 2 inches deep. Pigeons drink differently than chickens. They submerge their whole beak into water You can also offer a shallow tub of water to possibly encourage pigeon to bathe. If he does bathe, it is a good sign of recovery. If pigeon recovers, from whatever may have caused him the (no flying) he may eventually fly away back to his feral flock.
Do you know where the feral pigeons in your area congregate??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,and:hugsfor taking care of this feathered friend.

I don't know where they congregate. I have a feed dish for them so they hang around my house alot.
Thanks for the advise. I have left out food and water in the pen but have not seen the dove at all. Must hide under the cages.

Maybe the pigeon is injured from flying into a wire, or similar. :idunno He may have escaped a raptor attack?
I would not be too concerned with disease transmission. We cant live in a world where we are afraid of everything going wrong. If by some chance that pigeon is diseased, it already happened, I really don't think he is. :hugs Feral wild pigeons are usually quite hardy, and the weak/sick usually die off.
Feed the pigeon scratch seeds if you have. Wild bird seeds are even better. Offer water to drink in a container about 2 inches deep. Pigeons drink differently than chickens. They submerge their whole beak into water You can also offer a shallow tub of water to possibly encourage pigeon to bathe. If he does bathe, it is a good sign of recovery. If pigeon recovers, from whatever may have caused him the (no flying) he may eventually fly away back to his feral flock.

They bird is actually a dove and I put out feed for them every day so they congregate at my house! I do not know how the dove fared bc the next day the dove was gone from my pen.

Thanks for the info but when I came outside the following morning the bird was gone, I guess it found a way outside the pen.

Back
Top Bottom