Pigeon Talk

I know most of you don't use bedding but since this pen has a dirt floor I kind of have to so what's a good pigeon bedding?
I haven't been doing this for long (around 6 years or so) but the floor of my loft is dirt. It was a shed my dad built, it's super nice and makes a good loft lol, but since it was meant to be a shed it's just dirt. What I do to keep smell and poop down is I add shavings (just a light layer) and turn the poop in with one of those 'turners' for like turning your compost. It's been working pretty good, there's probably way better solutions though

I've got awesome news: I found a pigeon fancier in my area who has modenas and homers!
Yay!
Around how many homing pigeons do you think could fit in one pen and how many modenas could fit in the other
The general rule of thumb is two square feet per homer sized pigeon, but thats too small in my opinion. I recommend four per bird though.

I would say 12-15 homers per pen max, but a few more would be okay.

And as far as modenas... I don't know a thing about them, except there expensive, very expensive. At the last pigeon show I was a *suspect* for stealing a 5k modena. Like, really? You think me with my five ounce Portuguese tumblers would go for a two pound pigeon? I don't even raise them, and wasn't looking to buy modenas, so I don't know why they thought I would go and steal the best one. Oh well.
How many perches would each pigeon breed need if I were to put the maximum number of birds in each pen? I assume that modenas would need more floor space and less perches since they can't fly well?
I suggest 1 1\2 perches per bird. You always want them to have a few to choose from.

My favorite perches are box perches:
IMG_20210112_125722.jpg
IMG_20190514_113052.jpg

I like them because there's less fighting over perches, the droppings are easy to scrape, and the birds are easy to catch.

My birds favorite perches are v-perches and t-perches.
IMG_20200627_165635.jpg
IMG_20210112_125533.jpg
IMG_20200721_142212.jpg
IMG_20210112_125130.jpg
IMG_20210112_125146.jpg
IMG_20210112_125030.jpg

I know most of you don't use bedding but since this pen has a dirt floor I kind of have to so what's a good pigeon bedding?
I use bedding. I have been using straw, corn cob (from rural king) and Pelleted pine pellets. The pine pellets are great, so obserbant and they puff out into sawdust when wet. I have heard lots of complaints of dust from it, but so far so good!

Thanks for the info!

That's ridiculous! I'm pretty sure this guy is going to charge reasonable prices though.
A funny note on the red bar homer in the last photo: it was a friendly bird, I liked it a lot. You can see it reaching toward me in the photo. But, my loft was crowded and since my priority is flying ability, not friendliness, out she went. :( I sold him to a guy locally, who has a YouTube channel:

And, as I keep up on what used to be my bird, but now his, I have learned that any week he will be flying the bird, along with another one of mine. I am sure they could resettle, but not that quickly (its only been 2 months). So, any week now I am expecting a visit from my used to be birds. I do miss them! Obviously, I will contact him and let him know they are back if he wants them!

I haven't been doing this for long (around 6 years or so) but the floor of my loft is dirt. It was a shed my dad built, it's super nice and makes a good loft lol, but since it was meant to be a shed it's just dirt. What I do to keep smell and poop down is I add shavings (just a light layer) and turn the poop in with one of those 'turners' for like turning your compost. It's been working pretty good, there's probably way better solutions though
That seems like a good method! I am one of those who scrape a bare wood floor. I save the poop in empty feed bags that my neighbor comes to collect for his compost/garden. If you do a garden you might want to try scooping up a bit of the top layer from your loft to use as fertilizer. I'm told pigeon poop is highly prized by gardeners.
:)

A funny note on the red bar homer in the last photo: it was a friendly bird, I liked it a lot. You can see it reaching toward me in the photo. But, my loft was crowded and since my priority is flying ability, not friendliness, out she went. :( I sold him to a guy locally, who has a YouTube channel:

And, as I keep up on what used to be my bird, but now his, I have learned that any week he will be flying the bird, along with another one of mine. I am sure they could resettle, but not that quickly (its only been 2 months). So, any week now I am expecting a visit from my used to be birds. I do miss them! Obviously, I will contact him and let him know they are back if he wants them!
I'd be careful if they do return. By looking at that video, something seems off about his birds health-wise.

That seems like a good method! I am one of those who scrape a bare wood floor. I save the poop in empty feed bags that my neighbor comes to collect for his compost/garden. If you do a garden you might want to try scooping up a bit of the top layer from your loft to use as fertilizer. I'm told pigeon poop is highly prized by gardeners.
:)
It is great stuff. I use it for all of my veggies, and fruits, and berries etc. (yet another reason I don't use any medicines/drugs as I don't want any of that in my soil). It doesn't burn even if you use it fresh, although I typically compost it except for what I spread out prior to the winter freeze.

0322211206.jpg

A hawk tried to grab one of my pigeons today while it was sitting in a tree. I was outside and heard my geese freaking out so went over and there was 2 red tailed hawks after it. I saw feathers floating everywhere and was looking around for the bird. It was sitting 15 feet up in a cedar so i climbed up and grabbed her and put her in. I'm sure she would be dead if i wasnt out there, I can't even imagine how a pigeon would escape 2 hawks with 2 tail feathers left.

Back
Top Bottom