🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Well, I finally broke down and got some pigeons! Yeah! :clap

I've been breeding chickens and ducks for a few years now (also previously had turkey and quail) and I have 3 budgies indoors, but I decided I wanted some pigeons. So I found a fella close to me that had some fantails, which were the first pigeon to ever catch my eye and make me say "I want some of those!". Turned out that he also had a pair of Satinettes, and once I looked those up, I was hooked! So I met up with him last weekend. I got the pair of Satinettes, and he also had some parlor rollers. After looking at the fantails, I decided I liked the parlor rollers better, so I came home with the pair of Satinettes and a pair of parlor rollers.

Being not so new to the chicken world, but brand new to the pigeon world, I'd like to invite you to share your experiences with me. Major differences in raising pigeons as opposed to chickens, etc, etc. Especially pigeon specific stuff that non-pigeon people probably never thought of, etc. I've been reading many of the pigeon related threads here, but hate to hijack them with a bunch of my questions, so here we go..... tell me, tell me. :pop

IMG_8579.JPG IMG_8580.JPG IMG_8561.JPG

I'm also twisting the arm (*wink, wink*) of @Fields Mountain Farm and @shawluvsbirds to get some pigeons too, so we decided we could hopefully learn this stuff together.

Just a bit of notable random observations about pigeons. They molt....alot! I never thought such a small bird could lose so many feathers and not be bald! I spent an hour at the weekend hoovering my garage, in the loft, under the loft and the grass around the loft! :th
And here's a present for @Fields Mountain Farm. You may need it! :lau
4c6be4ef-888b-40f6-ac6a-54149bac1282.jpg
Good luck!

Just a bit of notable random observations about pigeons. They molt....alot! I never thought such a small bird could lose so many feathers and not be bald! I spent an hour at the weekend hoovering my garage, in the loft, under the loft and the grass around the loft! :th
And here's a present for @Fields Mountain Farm. You may need it! :lauView attachment 1555920Good luck!
:lau:gig:lau
I just love you guys! :hugs

And here's a present for @Fields Mountain Farm. You may need it! :lauView attachment 1555920Good luck!

I think she’s gonna need a bigger net. :lau

But thanks for that info. Good to know so I don’t panic when I see so many feathers! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom