Pigeon Talk

Lots of babies this year

Almost ready to go to their new homes this weekend. I wish I could keep them all but if I did I’d have well over a hundred homers at this point. The group of three in one box is composed of two different clutches. As they get older they have been going in and out of each other’s nests constantly to the point that I and the parent pigeons have no idea who is who.

My giant runts have also finally laid an egg!

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 21
The young homers went off to their new owner today! I didn’t realize the squeakers get cuter the more of them you have at once.

I have two giant runt eggs now!

I visited the Southwicks Zoo in Massachusetts the other day. There I saw the beautiful blue and purple colored Western Crowned Pigeon, the second or third largest species of pigeon besides their close relatives. 28 inches long and 4.5 pounds! They also had the biggest fantail I’ve ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.jpeg
    IMG_5060.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5219.jpeg
    IMG_5219.jpeg
    888.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5214.jpeg
    IMG_5214.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 23
The young homers went off to their new owner today! I didn’t realize the squeakers get cuter the more of them you have at once.

I have two giant runt eggs now!

I visited the Southwicks Zoo in Massachusetts the other day. There I saw the beautiful blue and purple colored Western Crowned Pigeon, the second or third largest species of pigeon besides their close relatives. 28 inches long and 4.5 pounds! They also had the biggest fantail I’ve ever seen.
Indian fantails are surprisingly large

Set up a new nest rack today. They took to it almost instantly. I was using a stack of the prefab nest boxes in the first picture but I honestly didn’t enjoy them at all. It was nice that they have dividers and locking doors for pairing/separating birds, but they were a nightmare to clean when actually used as nest boxes. Hoping to have better results with this shelf unit

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpeg
    IMG_5333.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5332.jpeg
    IMG_5332.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5331.jpeg
    IMG_5331.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    951.5 KB · Views: 16
Well, I finally broke down and got some pigeons! Yeah! :clap

I've been breeding chickens and ducks for a few years now (also previously had turkey and quail) and I have 3 budgies indoors, but I decided I wanted some pigeons. So I found a fella close to me that had some fantails, which were the first pigeon to ever catch my eye and make me say "I want some of those!". Turned out that he also had a pair of Satinettes, and once I looked those up, I was hooked! So I met up with him last weekend. I got the pair of Satinettes, and he also had some parlor rollers. After looking at the fantails, I decided I liked the parlor rollers better, so I came home with the pair of Satinettes and a pair of parlor rollers.

Being not so new to the chicken world, but brand new to the pigeon world, I'd like to invite you to share your experiences with me. Major differences in raising pigeons as opposed to chickens, etc, etc. Especially pigeon specific stuff that non-pigeon people probably never thought of, etc. I've been reading many of the pigeon related threads here, but hate to hijack them with a bunch of my questions, so here we go..... tell me, tell me. :pop

View attachment 1555873 View attachment 1555874 View attachment 1555872

I'm also twisting the arm (*wink, wink*) of @Fields Mountain Farm and @shawluvsbirds to get some pigeons too, so we decided we could hopefully learn this stuff together

Well, I finally broke down and got some pigeons! Yeah! :clap

I've been breeding chickens and ducks for a few years now (also previously had turkey and quail) and I have 3 budgies indoors, but I decided I wanted some pigeons. So I found a fella close to me that had some fantails, which were the first pigeon to ever catch my eye and make me say "I want some of those!". Turned out that he also had a pair of Satinettes, and once I looked those up, I was hooked! So I met up with him last weekend. I got the pair of Satinettes, and he also had some parlor rollers. After looking at the fantails, I decided I liked the parlor rollers better, so I came home with the pair of Satinettes and a pair of parlor rollers.

Being not so new to the chicken world, but brand new to the pigeon world, I'd like to invite you to share your experiences with me. Major differences in raising pigeons as opposed to chickens, etc, etc. Especially pigeon specific stuff that non-pigeon people probably never thought of, etc. I've been reading many of the pigeon related threads here, but hate to hijack them with a bunch of my questions, so here we go..... tell me, tell me. :pop

View attachment 1555873 View attachment 1555874 View attachment 1555872

I'm also twisting the arm (*wink, wink*) of @Fields Mountain Farm and @shawluvsbirds to get some pigeons too, so we decided we could hopefully learn this stuff together.
Congrats for joining us in the Pigeon world!

Gorgeous
Blue white bar saddle toy stencil.
Bronze bar saddle toy stencil. Grizzle

Not what I wanted to see today. Big female peregrine after the homers today. Got four back so far including all my young birds this year, they did good for their first falcon attack either diving and hiding in trees in the yard or going straight back to the loft. Still awaiting the return of one of my 4 y.o. hens…

Edit: couple hours later and she’s back

Attachments

• IMG_5654.png
    IMG_5654.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5653.png
    IMG_5653.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5656.png
    IMG_5656.png
    6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited: