Pigeon Talk

I have used wire floors in a similar New England climate.The drafts that come up through them are surprisingly minimal compared to wire on the sides or top. I dislike them for other reasons though.

Perhaps ironically, I find the wire more difficult to clean. Especially if the pigeon is sleeping in the same spot overnight and pooping in the same area the poop can build up on the wire and you might have to bang against the wire floor to knock it loose or scrape it off anyway (which is the only reason I can think of why a wire floor would be better than a solid floor). Especially in the winter, I would be sweeping frozen poop balls across the wire with my scraper, which was way more difficult than just scraping the poop off a wooden floor. Additionally, the molted down feathers love to get stuck in 1/2 inch hardware cloth, especially if it’s on or near the floor. You might have nasty globs of feces and down feathers stuck together in the wire, they also tend to hang down and sway in the breeze and it’s just not my cup of tea.
It’s not ideal to have a ton of spilled feed mingling with feces on the floor of the pigeon loft anyway, but with a wire floor you have no chance of a pigeon eating the spilled food quickly before it gets soiled. Plus, a pile of seed underneath the coop after feeding time always attracts rodents. Having tried both, I will continue to use solid floors.

But they certainly won’t be bothered by a wire floor, it doesn’t adversely affect them nearly as much as it adds extra inconveniences onto their maintenance.

I have used wire floors in a similar New England climate.The drafts that come up through them are surprisingly minimal compared to wire on the sides or top. I dislike them for other reasons though.
That is really helpful feedback. I put linoleum tiles down in coop#1 and was just using a poop board sitting under where they usually roost, combined with a paint scraper to get droppings off the rest of the floor. Doesn't take long at all. I thought I might be missing out on some important aspect of wire flooring, but your comments about rodents have sold me on the solid floor and continued daily scraping.

Gotta start searching for a repeat of the $0.25 clearance tiles I found at Lowes this summer...

I’ve been letting the runts out with the homers lately. The runts are still very nervous birds and the homers seem unsure what to make of them.

Attachments

• IMG_6923.png
    IMG_6923.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6925.jpeg
    IMG_6925.jpeg
    828.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6924.png
    IMG_6924.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
I used to close their exit door after they flew out for the days' flight. My trap was a Sputnik I mage myself. I really like the Sputnik style.

Qwerty3159

Is the danger of the migratory hawks past already in your area?? I know there are still resident hawks, but the numbers are less than the combined of both totals.

Friendly reminder to close your trap doors at night. This is the first time I’ve forgotten to do so in quite a while and the owl beat me to it.
Did it enter your loft? I once forgot and a GHO owl entered and killed two birds. My fault - I released the owl. The next night at dusk it was back, pacing on the aviary roof trying to get it.

Did it enter your loft? I once forgot and a GHO owl entered and killed two birds. My fault - I released the owl. The next night at dusk it was back, pacing on the aviary roof trying to get it.
Thankfully not! I’m sure this one will be back. Though I was surprised to see a barred owl and not a GHO like you said. Opportunists will be opportunists!
I used to close their exit door after they flew out for the days' flight. My trap was a Sputnik I mage myself. I really like the Sputnik style.
Is the danger of the migratory hawks past already in your area?? I know there are still resident hawks, but the numbers are less than the combined of both totals.
I’m happy to say that the fall hawk migration really hasn’t been that bad this year. I’ve had a few try their luck but didn’t have any losses so far. I’ve spotted a few more sitting on the loft now and then but I think I scared them off. Depending on how the winter goes that will hopefully continue. For now, I’m enjoying being able to let the runts out. They are certainly not graceful or agile but they definitely enjoy being out regardless.

Whenever I end up upgrading this loft or building a new one I think I’ll go for the Sputnik style as well. So far, I haven’t had any problems with the bobs. I only have one ex-racer that’s smart enough to get back out through the trap, but he hasn’t done it in quite some time.

Attachments

• IMG_6944.png
    IMG_6944.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom