Pigeon toed duckling

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Not sure if this is the right place to post, I think so??

The problem:
So I have two ducklings, one is almost 4 weeks old, he's become very pigeon toed over the last week and I noticed a couple days ago it wasnt improving and that he wasnt as active. I have struggled finding any waterfowl starter, so raised them on chick feed, which obviously does not have enough niacin, so upon advice I have supplemented with nutritional yeast. My second duckling is 4 days older and her legs and feet are perfect, she is extremely active. It is just this baby struggling. They are a suspected Aylesbury pekin mix, and I understand this could cause leg issues, growing so big so fast.

Since symptoms started:
Since noticing the problem I added a little extra nutritional yeast to their feed, and he has become much more active over the past couple days. However not any progress in appearance.

I'm willing to buy and try anything I need to in order to correct the issue and ensure he's happy and healthy. This is my first time raising ducks, so I worry I'm making mistakes, but I'm trying my best for these two and love them very much.

Treatment:
I'm thinking I should try a liquid vitamin B complex, as is commonly suggested. But I'm worried about what exactly I should buy for them and ensuring it will be safe.
I have heard some people say they hobble pigeon toed chicks or ducklings, is that possible, or necessary here?

I'm desperate to make sure he's okay.

I think you should definitely get the liquid vitamin B complex and start that as soon as possible. They should have 1 ml a day I believe, but if they get too much it will just flush out of their system, so don't worry. You can try putting it over treats, or adding to food and water....if doing that you'll need to add extra to make sure your troubled duck is getting enough. Pekins frequently need extra niacin compared to other duck breeds! It won't hurt your other ducklings either and might help them as well. You can make a hobble by using vet wrap or that stretch first aid gauze that sticks to itself but not the duck. I hobbled a duckling with splay leg and I wrapped a little wrap around each leg and then pulled the legs into proper position and wrapped them together to maintain that position. I'm not sure how that would work with pigeon-toed, but may help.

You want cattle injectable b from TSC or your feed store. Since you said aylesbury, I suspect your not in the US. It says injectable but administer orally as described above.
is it like this? I'm in the UK but I might be able to find something like this at the feed store or online

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-224010_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-224010_Chrome.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 8
I think you should definitely get the liquid vitamin B complex and start that as soon as possible. They should have 1 ml a day I believe, but if they get too much it will just flush out of their system, so don't worry. You can try putting it over treats, or adding to food and water....if doing that you'll need to add extra to make sure your troubled duck is getting enough. Pekins frequently need extra niacin compared to other duck breeds! It won't hurt your other ducklings either and might help them as well. You can make a hobble by using vet wrap or that stretch first aid gauze that sticks to itself but not the duck. I hobbled a duckling with splay leg and I wrapped a little wrap around each leg and then pulled the legs into proper position and wrapped them together to maintain that position. I'm not sure how that would work with pigeon-toed, but may help.
1 ml a day, I could definitely mix into a treat, I could even offer it exclusively to him if he needs the whole dose, prevent his sibling gobbling it all up

It helps us help you if you add your location. Aylesbury was a clue but its helpful to know were folks are located. We don't have Aylesbury over here. I also learned if someone asks about their chooks its Australia. We have people from all over here, which adds to the fun.

It helps us help you if you add your location. Aylesbury was a clue but its helpful to know were folks are located. We don't have Aylesbury over here. I also learned if someone asks about their chooks its Australia. We have people from all over here, which adds to the fun.
for sure! How do you do that?

Back
Top Bottom