Pigeon with no feet.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of frostbite also. I think he's a male, as I've seen him displaying and strutting at another pigeon. Poor thing tries, but he gets pushed over. His balance is poor. He stays crouched and occasionally wobbles and has to put a wing down to catch himself. He's fat. He's been around for a while and I feed him daily. He's been missing for the past 3 days and finally showed up last night starving. He wouldn't even spook with the rest of the flock when I came to add more food. He just stayed his ground and kept eating. And yes, he can fly. He just can't perch. He finds flat surfaces, a roof, an awning, to land on.

The only way I know to keep birds is indoors in a cage. He wouldn't have flight room, but I would put weewee pads on the bottom to cushion his stubs, and use 1x4's for perches for him. Maybe a padded corner shelf for a roost. You see, I've been thinking over the problems of a special needs bird. I feel that it would be unkind to cage him after he's been free to fly where he pleases.

After my post, I went out and euthanized her. She did not have a prospect of a good life, no matter what care I gave her. Sometimes writing it down makes you think it out... RIP Birdie.

[email protected] :

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of frostbite also. I think he's a male, as I've seen him displaying and strutting at another pigeon. Poor thing tries, but he gets pushed over. His balance is poor. He stays crouched and occasionally wobbles and has to put a wing down to catch himself. He's fat. He's been around for a while and I feed him daily. He's been missing for the past 3 days and finally showed up last night starving. He wouldn't even spook with the rest of the flock when I came to add more food. He just stayed his ground and kept eating. And yes, he can fly. He just can't perch. He finds flat surfaces, a roof, an awning, to land on.

The only way I know to keep birds is indoors in a cage. He wouldn't have flight room, but I would put weewee pads on the bottom to cushion his stubs, and use 1x4's for perches for him. Maybe a padded corner shelf for a roost. You see, I've been thinking over the problems of a special needs bird. I feel that it would be unkind to cage him after he's been free to fly where he pleases.

Hmm. I would Try to find a local pigeon owner who can give it a large flight area, where it will also be kept away from the weather in winter. That would be the best bet. Without a large flight, im afraid it would put too much strain on its legs.

Quote:
I think you made a good choice. So sorry
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
I had a parakeet hatch out once with similar problems. There was no way to give it any kind of quality of life, and I had it put down.
I'm sorry to hear about your bird.

Quote:
no worries, you'll find out after you see how a one legged pigeon try to keep it's balance on top/ under it's mate...

I may get to find out. I have been free lofting my birds since mid June with no losses. On Sat. I went out back and there was not a pigeon in sight-- generally they are all over the yard and loft roofs. Upon looking closer I saw black feathers scattered across the yard. Checked the lofts and the pigeons had all trapped in. Figured one lost to the hawks and have not released them for 2 days. Tonight there was a black hen on the landing board-- missing her right leg.
ep.gif
I opened the bob guard and she hopped in, drank, and started eating. I now have a one legged pigeon. I am clueless as to how she escaped the predator.

cockatiels are generally stupid birds, losing their legs when they try to take off to fly, at times, most losing only one, but seen to many lose both legs. those that lose both tend to do better than the rest, provided some handy capable excessories. they probably work good for pigeons etc also, aside from little ropes to pull themselves around. they learn to use a roller board, scaled down, but like for working under cars etc. nest boxes can be put flat on ground or with ramps to easily get in and out. they learn to hop or slide with wings. they seem to be happy to do the saw horse thing when happy singing at same time. ive seen wax paper used on bottom of cages with plot guarding piddle pads underneath to cushion. alot of other stuff oters have done, that i forget, but best bet would be to look up for cockatiels.. they really are stupid birds (ive seen them take off losing one leg, then immediatly lose the other flying back, seeming to just forget to unclench their claws. also smash in to the exact same spot till pass out or die, when other birds do it once in that spot, them maybe even walk up and tap at it, but usually just avoid that spot again if dont die the first time)! i have one tiel that is the exception to that rule, otherwise rest, dumb as posts.. lol seen little brace fake legs made to let them toddle around.

also though if they fall into water were most birds could grab on to help self out, ive seen birds that have just flapped wet wings till drowned as couldnt get out of water or balance with legs so just turn and capsize (yes they actually use those legs for alot), so keep it real shallow when bathing. ill say the gimpy ones tend to be the most greatful and loving pets, as well as any wild animals ive rehabed, never want to stay gone, as they know what is the good life once a predator starts chasing them, or it starts getting cold or rains even, as then they all come back out of wood work with wild ones to get back in. remember all pigeons are feral and out of elements by man, so would you leave a cat missing its legs out alone (my point of view aside, as i hate most cats, but still cant leave them out to die when know are hurt/sick).

Quote:
no worries, you'll find out after you see how a one legged pigeon try to keep it's balance on top/ under it's mate...

Many years ago ,i had a racing homer, without toes , and yes he bred his hen.

There they may try that, but would not be tried here in the States. I myself i would use foster parents to raise more young from my top birds. Just throw away the foster eggs , no reason to keep them from breeding.

even missing the shanks, ive seen tiels mate, as the male just positions himself best can, as female squats down, then he hopps up, grabs her neck or back with his beak, and gets rest of way into place balancing with wings. he usually doesnt stay on very long, but to my knowledge neither do some of us.. lol though knew of two that raised healthy babies continuously, though the babies for some reason kept losing one or both feet also, as would take off from perch in or on cage, carpet or furniture, and just leave a leg behind (wondering if the fancy color morphs are just way to inbred ???). the one pair, would actually scoot around though, and go at it a longer time than usual as female was already on the ground, so there was no thing more to worry about, but scooting off the edge of a table (which they later solved by putting a lip on the table and just using whole huge table as her playground home. hint hint).

itd be like someone telling you a paraplegic man or woman couldnt have sex.. where there is a will, there is a way. now if uneven pairs, maybe that odd one would be bullied away from mating by another, or just constantly interrupted in cramped flock setting, but just a pair together, ive seen mate and raise babies very successfully, shanks missing seemed to make actually easier to get around, when missing one or more, as opposed to trying to walk on the stump.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom