Pigeon with shoulder injury

knowvagale

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Austin, Texas
Hi, I just picked up a young injured pigeon from a friend. The source of the injury is unknown, and I don't have much information on behavior, eating habits, etc. because the friend who gave me the bird keeps a lot of pigeons and doesn't have time to monitor them individually. Poor thing does look a bit scraggly and is rather light, but this could just be because it's a squeaker, and even healthy young pigeons tend to look a bit put together wrong. The injury itself is on the left shoulder, and looks like it could be infected. Just wondering whether anyone has experience treating a similar injury and what the best path forwards would be. Should I hold off on introducing it to the loft so it doesn't get picked on, keep it inside until it improves, adjust what I'm feeding, etc? Is there anything I can do to treat the wound itself or would it be better to just leave it be? Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG-4991.jpg
    IMG-4991.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-4994.jpg
    IMG-4994.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 8
I know nothing about pigeons, but if a wound is infected, I would use some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens in first aid aisles.) Apply a little diluted, and rinse off with water. Plain antibiotic ointment ointment then could be applied when dry.

I am reluctant to mess with the wound and risk messing up the healing process/stressing the bird out, so I think I'm going to give her a course of antibiotics in case there is an infection. I've heard doxycycline and amoxicillin are both viable for treating wounds in birds, and I have both—any idea which would be better?

How’s it doing now? Sorry you didn’t get more answers.

That scab looked pretty gross but if the wound wasn’t deep I would’ve bet on it healing up fine. The new skin and budding feathers at the right of the wound point to the healing process being underway at the time of posting.

i’m also hoping that this healed up for you! I missed your thread when it was new, but found it in the “similar threads” list when I posted asking about my pigeon's injury. I couldn’t really have helped (that’s why I posted here asking about mine) but feel like I should have provided some moral support!

Back
Top Bottom