Pigeons “kissing”?

wildriverswolf90

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
polk county, NC
In an attempt to figure out gender of my 4 indian fantails, I seperated them and introduced back to eachother in different possible combos. I noticed 3 have deep coos, and 1 is smaller and has a hushed coo. When I introduced the small one in with one of the larger ones, the large one began cooing loudly and walking around the small one. They then sat on a perch next to each and preened and then they would hold onto eachothers' beaks! Is this “kissing” and is it a good bet that this is a male and female pair?

They are actually feeding each other,like they do the babies. That is not a guarantee that they are a real pair. But the size difference and difference in voice coupled with the "kissing" is a pretty good indicator that it is indeed a pair. Age could play a big part in the differences, though.

mostly males will allow females to feed from their crops, but have had two female siblings feeding and mock mating, and heard of two males doing this in absence of enough females for each. also females generally bully way and allowed to eat first if males are not starved. same sexes mostly fight a lot more only with each other unless mated pairs are fighting off others from corners or objects like perches or feeders.

Back
Top Bottom