Pigeons and doves!

If you think pigeons would be definitely hurt by my flock, then maybe I should not get them because I don´t want any birds getting hurt. Let me know.

My mom tried this two years ago and it didn't work very well. Even utilizing the tall parts of our chicken runs for them it just wasn't a good idea, neither was really happy. So we just kept to keeping pigeons in the loft and instead changing the loft so it's now 3 sections (20' x 8' building or so) so I can keep the birds happy. The sections have worked out especially well since I keep a huge size variety, from these huge retired racing homers to tiny portuguese

My mom tried this two years ago and it didn't work very well. Even utilizing the tall parts of our chicken runs for them it just wasn't a good idea, neither was really happy. So we just kept to keeping pigeons in the loft and instead changing the loft so it's now 3 sections (20' x 8' building or so) so I can keep the birds happy. The sections have worked out especially well since I keep a huge size variety, from these huge retired racing homers to tiny portuguese
Do you free fly? Do you have an aviary attachment to your loft? :)

Oh, I thought you knew about them since you mentioned adopting. There are plenty of rescue pigeons, but it can be hard to find them, since shelters usually just euthanize them instead of try to find homes for them. However, there are a few organizations that only take in pigeons and/or other similar birds that you may be able to find.

I do, and it didn’t work out. The thing is, pigeons won’t just stay in your yard. Cars, dogs, and cats definitely pose a big risk to them in a neighborhood.
I would love rescue pigeons! Yes I have heard of them but didn´t know what you mean´t.

Do you free fly? Do you have an aviary attachment to your loft? :)

I don't free fly. I've got two families of hawks and a family of bald eagles who call my suburban neighborhood their home, and while it's amazing to watch them hunt and see them raise chicks, it's a nightmare film in the making for my pigeons. I have a fully enclosed outdoor aviary attached, it's smaller than my loft but with the loft being so big they have tons of space in an out :) pigeons love the sun, some even love the rain (I've got a few weirdos) so they get full access to it. They love bathes which I provide out in the aviary too (which I'm stopping now since it's winter) but having had ducks I know for certain that ducks would NOT be okay with sharing a pool. And I know they make small chickens and I know they make big pigeons, but trust me once you get your hands on an average pigeon (say a roller?) You'll see how much smaller they are than your little chickens, my OEGB hen looks like a giant most days when she runs past me into the loft for some popcorns! The pigeons hate her or I'd consider some oegbs for popcorn cleanup haha

I don't free fly. I've got two families of hawks and a family of bald eagles who call my suburban neighborhood their home, and while it's amazing to watch them hunt and see them raise chicks, it's a nightmare film in the making for my pigeons. I have a fully enclosed outdoor aviary attached, it's smaller than my loft but with the loft being so big they have tons of space in an out :) pigeons love the sun, some even love the rain (I've got a few weirdos) so they get full access to it. They love bathes which I provide out in the aviary too (which I'm stopping now since it's winter) but having had ducks I know for certain that ducks would NOT be okay with sharing a pool. And I know they make small chickens and I know they make big pigeons, but trust me once you get your hands on an average pigeon (say a roller?) You'll see how much smaller they are than your little chickens, my OEGB hen looks like a giant most days when she runs past me into the loft for some popcorns! The pigeons hate her or I'd consider some oegbs for popcorn cleanup haha
Thank you. I think now if I get pigeons they will have a separate aviary near the chicken run.

Thank you. I think now if I get pigeons they will have a separate aviary near the chicken run.
As I was reading thru this thread, was going to say just as you concluded here.
Best to keep the pigeons separate from the other birds.

I did keep some pigeons together with my banties, during winter. I did not allow for any hatching. The lil squabs would have been eaten by my chickens.

I also think you need more than 2 pigeons. I suggest 4 to start with.
You may consider getting a few King Pigeons. They are large breed, and do not fly much. They tend to wander on the ground of aviary. They make fine pets. Many peeps raise them to be consumed as food. I know a place near me that sells them often. It is a live poultry store. They also sell rabbits, and turkeys. Your choice to take them home live, or cleaned in a plastic bag. Check to see if there are Live poultry stores in your area. Ask around at the feed store where you get your chicken feed. Maybe store has a bulletin board with peeps posting items for sale?? Chickens, ducks, rabbits, as well as other like pigeons. Have you checked Craig's List. I can always find pigeons on there. Some are a slight distance away.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

As I was reading thru this thread, was going to say just as you concluded here.
Best to keep the pigeons separate from the other birds.

I did keep some pigeons together with my banties, during winter. I did not allow for any hatching. The lil squabs would have been eaten by my chickens.

I also think you need more than 2 pigeons. I suggest 4 to start with.
You may consider getting a few King Pigeons. They are large breed, and do not fly much. They tend to wander on the ground of aviary. They make fine pets. Many peeps raise them to be consumed as food. I know a place near me that sells them often. It is a live poultry store. They also sell rabbits, and turkeys. Your choice to take them home live, or cleaned in a plastic bag. Check to see if there are Live poultry stores in your area. Ask around at the feed store where you get your chicken feed. Maybe store has a bulletin board with peeps posting items for sale?? Chickens, ducks, rabbits, as well as other like pigeons. Have you checked Craig's List. I can always find pigeons on there. Some are a slight distance away.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you! Would they be okay with my banties if I got 4 king pigeons to be with them or are you saying separately? I will check on craigslist and more.

Thank you! Would they be okay with my banties if I got 4 king pigeons to be with them or are you saying separately? I will check on craigslist and more.
You can try it and see, but they would definitely need to be separated if the pigeons would raise young, or the pigeons are young (meaning pigeon is adult size, but still a squab, at 30 days old, the squabs are big)
Among chickens the issue (even bantams) is establishing pecking order. Seems that pigeons, and chickens don't speak same language :gig so the pecking could continue to no end.
There is somewhat similar pecking order among pigeons, with the dominant males being the BOSS. The rest of the flock seem to live in HARMONY, for most lofts.
Tight living quarters, and overcrowding is possibly the major contributing factor in chicken, and other bird, fighting situations.

When I housed my chickens together with my pigeons in the loft this was the situation/setup.
The pigeon loft is inside my garage. It is sufficiently big in square footage. Estimate, about 60 square feet.
I keep my chickens there overwinter. I separated loft into 2 sections, and in pigeon portion, I place my 2 bantams, and a blind EE hen there. (blind due to a dog attack:hit, still lived for 2 years , until 11 years old) There was no fighting there whatsoever. In the other section I kept the remainder of my chicken flock, which were Large fowl. I only have a small flock of pets, so no overcrowding issues encountered.
I currently do not have pigeons,:( so chickens get the whole loft for their winter housing.
I have 6 bantams. 2 OEGH, 3 Seramas, 1 Japanese Bantam, and 2 Large-fowl
Welsummer, 2 years old, and my Senior Citizen RIR, (9 years old:love)

I have communicated with a member here on BYC that wanted to use a common run with separate coops, on each end to house a few chickens with a pair of pigeons. The run was totally enclosed with netting. Thread went kind of dormant, so not sure of results.

Another person used the same shed to house a pair of pigeons with their chickens. Made the upper portion a loft for the pigeons, and a separate exit on top into a separate aviary. That thread also went quiet, so not sure how all working there currently. :hit

Since you seem to want a small number (5 or less) I strongly advise that no matter what kind of pigeons you get that you give them separate housing. Even if they get along with the other species it’s better for their health to stay separated, and they won’t be any less happy with their own kind. While I’m sure it works for some people, the space requirements for that number of pigeons is not very much at all, so I would build them their own coop or aviary. :)

Back
Top Bottom