Pigpen

LibRat

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Illinois
I have no idea what he is. When he was younger, someone told me he looked like a leghorn. Now that he's older, fishnet1971 has suggested he is the same as her Bird, a RSL. But someone on the thread for posting pics of RSLs said he don't have enough color to be a RSL. So any suggestions as to what the poor guy could be?

Definitely not a leghorn, as he has red earlobes and isn't pure white. To me, he just looks like some sort of mixed breed, maybe with some White Plymouth Rock in him. Or he could just be a lighter colored Red Sex-link male.

Last edited:
He does not have the classic red sex link coloring or body type, but there are several crosses that can be used to make red sex links. Regardless, even if he's a sex link, he's basically a mixed breed rooster. He looks like he'd make a good flock rooster for breeding layer replacements and table birds.

He does not have the classic red sex link coloring or body type, but there are several crosses that can be used to make red sex links. Regardless, even if he's a sex link, he's basically a mixed breed rooster. He looks like he'd make a good flock rooster for breeding layer replacements and table birds.

x2

I don't think he's RSL, either. Too much gold, not enough red. And black in the tail feathers.

What's a table bird?
So Pigs basically a mutt? Oh well it doesn't make a difference to me, I was just curious. He's our pet lol :)

What's a table bird?
So Pigs basically a mutt? Oh well it doesn't make a difference to me, I was just curious. He's our pet lol
smile.png
As far as I know, a table bird is a bird that can reach a size suitable for slaughtering and eating. Your rooster has a nice deep/thick body type, and if crossed with some other dual-purpose hens (good for meat and eggs--breeds include Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, etc.) should produce hens that lay well, along with cockerels that can be "table birds".

As far as I know, a table bird is a bird that can reach a size suitable for slaughtering and eating. Your rooster has a nice deep/thick body type, and if crossed with some other dual-purpose hens (good for meat and eggs--breeds include Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, etc.) should produce hens that lay well, along with cockerels that can be "table birds".
X2

Yeah, sorry, table bird means his male offspring will be good size for butchering/eating, unlike some leaner built birds that throw really skinny boys that aren't as nice for eating. Granted, you can eat any bird if you're hungry enough, but might as well eat a meaty one as a skinny one!

Back
Top Bottom