Pigs and goats :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Pumpkin, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin New Egg

May 2, 2008
    Me and DH went to the flea market yesterday to look around. He walked directly to the barn animals. Before I knew it we had a baby razor back mixed with wild pig. I begged and pleaded for him to think about it first.I was fuming this morning but we talked it out and he said he would talk to me before he purchased another animal.
    I was so furious I did not talk to him the whole day. We have 50 chickens on order and have 30 in the barn and NO place for pigs. I fell in love (yesterdays purchase) with it because it loves me and not DH. [​IMG]
    This morning we talked with my dad and he mentioned that he wanted to raise a hog for a roast. I thought well if we got a male we could breed it with my female then smoke the male for thanksgiving.

So me and DH go to the market to get my dads male piglet. DH sees and teacup pig he likes and I caved and bought that as a PET only. So I leave DH with both pigs and I go get the truck. BTW I gave him a 100$ to pay her. She was busy and I was in a hurry to get the truck as it was cold/raining.

I pull the truck around and SOAGun! My DH is holding a 20 pound goat in his hands and walking towards me.....OMGosh!
    He did it again.
    I am furious with him but now we have animals I know nothing about.

Does anyone have any useful places for info on pigs and goats?

Does anyone need a husband? [​IMG] He's paper trained [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, it looks like your DH loves getting new animals [​IMG]

3. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    Sounds like I'm not the only one living in the midst of a menagerie! I've thought about pigs & goats but have so far resisted temptation. I don't have enough pasture cleared to add another grazing animal anyway.

Can hubby be put in charge of the critters?

Good luck!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]..aww! he sounds like a sweetheart! who can resist a man that buys you piggys and goats!...[​IMG]....[​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    ha ha ... ill trade you... mines not really good with money... [​IMG]

How fun.. so many people on here have husbands that WONT let them get more animals.. your blessed! [​IMG]

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Does he know that both pigs and goats are very social? That goat is gonna need another goat to keep it company. If it is male and not fixed it's gonna smell because they pee on themselves to attract a mate!
    I have 3 goats, they are fun. You have alot of reading to do, there are many weeds that can kill a goat if they get into them. So can a lot of your landscaping plants.
    For starters no cherry of any kind. If it is wilted it is very poisonous.
    We have a lot of sugar maple so we give them those. Mine also eat oak leaves, which some say is bad, but mine would kill for them, and really like them when they are brown and crunchy!
    We got our goats to clear property, and learned quickly what we wanted to get rid of the goats shouldn't eat!
    They do love poison ivy and berry bushes and other shruby bushes. They won't usually touch
    what they shouldn't, but when it is all tangled in there they can get some of something they shouldn't. That is when you need to know your animals behavior.
    If they act funny, act quickly they can go down fast! Get a vet now and have the number handy, do not wait. Make sure you ask what shots they need, I was told by whom I bought that do do not need any, but the vet told different!
    Don't over feed them grain, and never leave it where they can get into it, they can bloat easy.
    Ask many questions, and you will learn fast.
    Have fun!
    Brenda

7. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I'm new to pigs and goats. Got my first ones in October. Now I have 4 goats and 3 pigs. One pig will be a breeder the other two are for eating. You might want to read up about boar taint.

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] For heaven's sake, don't go to the cattle auction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by