pileing ?

fratmor

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
ny,ny
my 7 weeks are in their coop now. a nice 10 X 9 with 5 egg boxes and 4 3ft roosts .I looked in there the other night and I had 2 on the roosts,about 12 in one egg box ,10 in a Conner ,one on the open window,and one on the window sill. does anyone know why so many of them are in one box?and is it ok for them to use the boxes as a bed or will it be a problem when they start laying?

The problem with them sleeping in the nest boxes is that they poop in there while they're sleeping and make a mess of things. You could cover the nest boxes until they get older to keep them out of there. I would want to teach them not to sleep in the nest boxes now so they don't get accustomed to it.

The reason they're all in bunches is just because chickens, especially when chicks, like to cuddle. And especially if it's getting chilly where you live, they're cuddling for warmth as well.

It will be a problem when they start laying as you will have poopy eggs. They are a little young to have learned to use the roost yet, not that they shouldn't, but usually they are a little older before they all get the hang of roosting.

Just set them on the roost each night after they have settled down. If I were you, I'd close off the nest boxes until they show signs of being ready to lay, or maybe 18 weeks, or when everyone sleeps on the roost faithfully. I would not let them sleep in the nest boxes, even now.

the weather has not been that cold around 50's.they should not get chilled if they stay low. I have 2 vents up on the wall at ceiling height and a window a little higher and 1/2 way up.

I have to cover my nest boxes every night,due to the fact that one of my hens will roost on the very edge of it. And yes, she was leaving poo in them. I have a cover on the boxes, as well as a curtain in front, and she still goes in there. The boxes have a little lip on them, and she sits on that. However, I have seen her laying in one, and since she goes broody all the time, sometimes I'll let her stay there. But I always come back to poo in the box. She is the absolute lowest in the pecking order, and I think the others aren't letting her up on the roost all the time, even though there is more than enough room. I have ended up putting the top half of a cat crate (all I have right now that is the apx size) over the nest boxes. I make sure to remove it in the morning, before they start to lay. If when I go to lock them up at night, she has beat me to the box, I just remove her and put her on the roost. Then she stays there. I have made sure that the roost is higher than the nest boxes, but not too high that she can't get up. (I was spying on her one night to see if she would get up on the roost. She tried and couldn't make it. It was only 3' off the ground. But she is tiny, about the size of a pigeon.) Your little ones will eventually get it, buy I agree, don't let them get used to sleeping in the nest boxes. It is such a pain to clean it out all the time, or worse, have poopie eggs.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom