Pilgrim Geese, egg and life update

I'm pretty sure ganders won't sit on a nest, so you probably have an Embden lady on your hands. Your best bet may be to just get a Pilgrim gander and keep the trio.

I was just thinking while washing walls where I had the birds inside (never again!) that I can't believe these goslings are only two months old and that big already!!! And I did take a pic w/one of my dogs recently so will quickly post that as I've got to get the walls clean, move a freezer and butcher 10 CornishX today. (I'm not happy about the butchering, these CC's are very friendly but I can see leg/feet probs starting to show.)
Here's Boris Van Valckesteyn the long hair weimaraner w/the geese:
Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

better pics later, time to butcher the cc's...

Quote:
I just got four Pilgrim geese from a nice family who are their second owners. The two females and one male are approximately three years old as they did nest last year. There was one gosling that matured who is male. This year the smaller female and both males sat the nest together will the large female acted guard, chasing everyone away. All of the goslings were eaten by ravens.

With as far north as you are, I think the biggest thing working against your nest was how cold the eggs may have gotten in the beginning, before your birds started to actively set their nest... Maybe this next year, you can replace their eggs one by one with "fake" eggs until you get them actively setting their nest and then switch them back.

AHhhgh! Those darn ravens! They stole one of my Cornish x and also one of my grey banty hens, too! But that is really getting my goat, stealing those beautiful goslings...that's a great idea, Leslie, I was planning to just take some eggs and incubate them, too.

Back
Top Bottom