Pilgrim Geese thread

I just bought a pair of Pilgrim Goslings and intend to let them breed. I hear that they are difficult to breed? They lay two clutches but the first is a dud? These are the things I've been hearing. Wanted to hear from someone who actually had some.

I understand they're only a month old and it takes them close to two years before they start breeding. Or at least until the goose starts laying.

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted. Started last spring with a 5 out of 5 hatch - we were thrilled, though I ended up with only one goose and four ganders.  We had so much fun rearing them.  We have them on a large grass pasture with a six foot electrified fence.  Somewhere around late summer, a bobcat found them. We lost four of the five in a very short time period.  We raised the fence to ten feet (that was one heck of a chore) and we haven't had any more losses.  I found someone who needed a home for their three pilgrims (one pair and a 2014 male offspring) and we brought them home and created a new family for our remaining goose.  My question to all of you is - do any of you have a source for Pilgrim hatching eggs that you're willing to share? With one goose and four ganders I would really like to hatch some eggs this spring, but the woman who sold me my eggs last year is no longer keeping geese. I've had no luck searching for other sources of Pilgrim hatching eggs. I am on Metzer's waiting list for goslings this spring, but that isn't a sure thing, and I'd really rather hatch my own anyway if I can find them.  I love the breed, and am hoping to get to a point that I can be offering hatching eggs to others in the future.  Any thoughts?

I think we're kinda sorta in the same boat. I love geese but I can't find eggs. I live in Florida and I think I heard about someone near the east coast that raises pilgrims. I'll ask around.

I think we're kinda sorta in the same boat. I love geese but I can't find eggs. I live in Florida and I think I heard about someone near the east coast that raises pilgrims. I'll ask around.
We got ours in Virginia. Ended up with 2 geese and 6 ganders. Hoping for breeding/laying/hatching success this year.

4 of our ganders are available now.

Last edited:
Oh poo, that's right ... they are only 1 this year.
Is this how you 2 talk to each other most of the time?
lol.png

Has anyone had success with their goose wanting to set her own eggs?
Is that normal for Pilgrims?

Back
Top Bottom